Searching for a graphics card

Adelaar

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Hello there,

I have been upgrading my computer in pieces for years and I now need another video card. here is my current setup with the old card listed:

PS: 500W
Memory: 4GB DDR2 800MHz
Motherboard: GIGABYTE P45 EP45-UD3P
processor: Q9400 2.66GHz
Old Video Card: GIGABYTE 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

I am debating between the 4770, 4850, 4870, and 4890. I usually play a good bit of games ranging from LOTRO, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, and GTAIV.

So with that in mind, what would be the best bang for the buck, and which will last me another few years?

Resoloution, budget and details on the PSU please.
The HD 4870/4890 both need two 6 pin PCI-E connectors to work and some of the coolers on the 4850/4870 are not suitable for small cases or those with just two fans.

mojito_619

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
You may want to go for the 4850, I'm a bit worried about you PSU. What make is it? You do know that you could F'up your rig if your PSU goes bonkers.

^+1 But look for the 1Gb HD4870, it's larger memory handles AA better.
Also consider the GTX 260 if you prefer Nvidia, the two cards perform much the same and require about the same amount of power.
Best choices : XFX, BFG and EVGA because they give the longest warranties and have the best support.

Adelaar

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Awesome, I will definitely look into the ones you all mentioned. Thanks for the help definitely. I was leaning towards the ATI cards as the MB does not have SLI, but it does have the crossfire capability. I am not looking at using it in the near future, but the option would be nice in 2-3 years.

Next question in relation to the HD4870, which 1GB brand card is the better choice and price?

Price depends on where you shop: Do n't just look at one place, they all offer specials, usually during the weekend, so look especially hard then.
Reread my last post on who is best but remember; that quality of service usually costs a little more, but if you plan on keeping the card for a few years, I would advise you to pay that little bit more and REGISTER the card as soon as you open the box or you'll miss out on that long warranty.
Take a look at the Newegg site and read the reviews there if you find a card you like with good reviews then buy it but do not buy the first one you like the look of and, once you find a card you want, shop around and see if another supplier has it on offer.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

indeed. but if he has the money, the extra graphics muscle wouldnt hurt though right?

id just go for the 4890 :)

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Unless it hurts the wallet or the plastic (in my case both), it never hurts to have the extra power. Eventually, all gamers migrate to a 24 inch or larger monitor because it never feels the same when you game on a friend's system with a larger monitor and you come home and find yourself squinting at your 21 inch monitor, lol.