Partition in Windows 7

yasirbintariq

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
In my new machine, Presario CQ56 there are only two partitions i.e one is C and the other is D(recovery). I wanted to create two more partitions out of C (which is approx 298 GB). I have been able to shrink this volume thus left me an unallocated space of 185 GB. Now the problem I am facing is when I tried to create new volume through windows 7 disk management utility, it says at the end that by creating the partition the disk will be converted to dynamic (which means in case i need to run recovery from recovery drive, it will not work).
Therefore please guide me how to create two partitions out of unallocated space so that my hdd doesn't convert into dynmaic disk.

Qi_mad

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Have you tried opening command prompt and opening Diskpart to create and then convert.

First create the dynamic partition then:

cmd > diskpart > list volumes > select volume (1,2,3,4,5, etc) > 'convert help'

Hope this helps

yasirbintariq

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

how much sure you are if this going to help. Because last time I was unable to convert my disk from Dynamic to basic by any free method available.

Qi_mad

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

I'm not sure if it will work but I wasn't aware you may not be able to recover from it, but you should still be able to switch back to dynamic and re-delete it if you convert it, (I guess?)

TRENDING THREADS