Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HP laptop hard disk upgrade

Last response: in Storage
February 23, 2011 7:48:40 AM

I have an HP Pavilion dmt4-1200 laptop. I want to use my 80GB Intel X25-M SSD instead of the 500GB 5400rpm drive the laptop came with. The reduction in space is unimportant because I have an external USB 7200rpm hard drive for data storage. For some reason when I try to do a minimal Windows 7 install (amazingly HP actually gives this option) with the HP recovery discs I burned I get an error stating the 80GB drive could not be partitioned. The SSD is functioning properly because it still works in my old Core 2-based desktop PC that I previously built. Does anyone know how to fix this? It's not possible to use an OEM product key with a retail Windows 7 DVD. I've tried and I keep getting an error once a day stating "The Windows 7 Home Premium product key you entered is invalid". That's the exact wording of the error message.

More about : laptop hard disk upgrade

February 23, 2011 4:59:01 PM

I upgraded my Pavilion dm4-1173cl (slightly older model) with a Samsung 128GB SSD. I wanted a clean install so I used media I have through my MSDN license, rather than going through the hassle with HP's stack of recovery DVDs. I didn't have any issues with the normal Windows partitioning (from MS provided media, not the HP OEM version -- which probably creates Tools and Recovery partitions, which I have no need for).

I think your best bet is going to be to call MS's activation number and go through it with them, they can give you a number that will work.

FYI: I also mounted my 500 GB 7200 RPM drive in the optical bay using the adapter found at http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_i..., in case you ever want to do similar. The unit required shaving off about 1/16th of an inch of the bottom left corner of the plastic face plate to let it insert all the way into the bay so the securing screw could be inserted.

Good luck.
m
l
February 24, 2011 3:16:41 AM

shadamus said:
I upgraded my Pavilion dm4-1173cl (slightly older model) with a Samsung 128GB SSD. I wanted a clean install so I used media I have through my MSDN license, rather than going through the hassle with HP's stack of recovery DVDs. I didn't have any issues with the normal Windows partitioning (from MS provided media, not the HP OEM version -- which probably creates Tools and Recovery partitions, which I have no need for).

I think your best bet is going to be to call MS's activation number and go through it with them, they can give you a number that will work.

FYI: I also mounted my 500 GB 7200 RPM drive in the optical bay using the adapter found at http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_i..., in case you ever want to do similar. The unit required shaving off about 1/16th of an inch of the bottom left corner of the plastic face plate to let it insert all the way into the bay so the securing screw could be inserted.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I also e-mailed HP's support about this and here's the reply I got:

"In response to your query, I would like to inform you that, you would not be able to upgrade/downgrade the existing Hard Drive as your motherboard and your HDD is tattooed by HP, so if by any chance you try to upgrade it or try to insert any type of solid state hard drive, you will face a lot of hardware malfunction and software conflicts. At the same point of time you would not be able to install any Operating System in the External Hard Drive or in a SSD Hard Drive in a tattooed motherboard as well."

Have you ever heard of anything like this? Normally replacing the hard disk in a computer would not trigger the reactivation prompt in Windows 7 or any other version of Windows.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 24, 2011 5:01:35 AM

I haven't heard of such before. All I can think of is that they are over-simplifying the fact that when you activate Windows it snapshots your hardware config so they can detect radical changes at the MS mothership. The rest of that sounds like they're just trying to scare you away from adding a drive on your own.

Like I said in the prior msg, I had no issues doing a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 onto my Samsung SSD using a DVD burned from an ISO downloaded from the MSDN subscriber website. I realize you may not have access to extra OS licenses, but unless they radically changed something, your newer Pavilion dm4t should be just as easily upgradable as my Pavilion dm4 was.

I still think your best bet will be getting a hold of MS's activation team, I'm betting they'll be able to clear it up (even if that means issuing you a new code).
February 26, 2011 1:20:59 PM

use the disk manager
m
l
March 5, 2011 6:26:37 AM

Best answer selected by techguy378.
m
l
!