Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Horrible internet connection? Speedtest says otherwise

Last response: in Networking
September 10, 2009 2:38:52 PM

Hey guys. so I just built my new computer, (q9550, 750gb hdd, 4gb ram, windows 7 rc1)
So my scary problem is, everything runs fast and good, so i presumed.
I just learned about the program called speedtest, and so i tried it out.
I'm using the internet provider sbc dsl, and I'm paying 30$ a month for this kind of speed?? :cry: 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/561592330.png

Why is apparently my internet speed so slow?
I'm looking around and people are getting way faster speeds.
I've checked my cords, made sure the plugs are all in, restarted my modem and it speeds still run this slow. Why is this and what can i do?
My speed going aroung browsing seems to be fast to me, (well i went from a compaq pentium 4 to a q9550) but these numbers are scaring me.

P.s, i also have a hard time loading video's for some reason, kind of slow (ex youtube) but im googing up some solutions, if anyone else feels like also helping me out with that.
September 11, 2009 7:26:00 AM

What speed does your ISP claim to be selling you?

I'm in the Uk rather then US but some of the cheap lines over here and if your in a bad location may only get that speed.

PC hardware specs have very small efect on your internet download speed.
September 11, 2009 2:07:32 PM

vibe said:
What speed does your ISP claim to be selling you?

I'm in the Uk rather then US but some of the cheap lines over here and if your in a bad location may only get that speed.

PC hardware specs have very small efect on your internet download speed.

I'm not even sure, for 30$ dsl, my dad told me its like the fastest one, yet speedtest says otherwise. Should i be contacting my internet provider then?
Related resources

Best solution

September 12, 2009 9:52:08 AM

You cant just say "the fastest one" for ISPs (despite what they tell you), there is the fastest one as in - they offer a line with the highest speed that someone somewhere will get. For example, I think over here Virgin Broadband offer the fastest posible conection at 50Mb - no other ISP (I may be wrong but doesnt matter for this example) offer 50Mb there for Virgin can claim they are fastest.

If I live in an area where Virgin have very bad service levels I may only get 5mb - So I'm with the fastest provider but they just dont give me what I pay for.

BT offer a 20Mb line where I live - and lets say I get 75% of the max sevice, instead of just 10% from Virgin because their service is much better in my area. Then I will get 15Mb connection speed.

In short I'm with the fastest ISP in my area and not the fastest ISP in the world.

Yes - have you or your dad contact the ISP - $30 for a 2.5Mb line is too much in my book. However without knowing what they claim to be providing you (i.e you're paying $30 for a 3Mb line and in that case the speed test checks out) you cant tell if your getting the correct deal.
September 12, 2009 10:51:57 AM

If all else fails to improve internet access speed it maybe worthwhile getting the telephone/cable company to check the cables from their end. Another suggestion is to connect the broadband modem to a different point in your home. Hope this helps.
September 12, 2009 4:45:53 PM

speedtest is the worst possibly place to test your connection in my experience, try speakeasy.net its much more accurate for me :) 
September 20, 2009 5:58:49 PM

vibe said:
You cant just say "the fastest one" for ISPs (despite what they tell you), there is the fastest one as in - they offer a line with the highest speed that someone somewhere will get. For example, I think over here Virgin Broadband offer the fastest posible conection at 50Mb - no other ISP (I may be wrong but doesnt matter for this example) offer 50Mb there for Virgin can claim they are fastest.

If I live in an area where Virgin have very bad service levels I may only get 5mb - So I'm with the fastest provider but they just dont give me what I pay for.

BT offer a 20Mb line where I live - and lets say I get 75% of the max sevice, instead of just 10% from Virgin because their service is much better in my area. Then I will get 15Mb connection speed.

In short I'm with the fastest ISP in my area and not the fastest ISP in the world.

Yes - have you or your dad contact the ISP - $30 for a 2.5Mb line is too much in my book. However without knowing what they claim to be providing you (i.e you're paying $30 for a 3Mb line and in that case the speed test checks out) you cant tell if your getting the correct deal.

Yeah that's true, thanks for that
September 20, 2009 6:03:32 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
speedtest is the worst possibly place to test your connection in my experience, try speakeasy.net its much more accurate for me :) 

Yeah tried it out, there was a difference but either way i still got the general idea ty.
October 14, 2009 8:46:10 AM

foxy_roxy said:
If all else fails to improve internet access speed it maybe worthwhile getting the telephone/cable company to check the cables from their end. Another suggestion is to connect the broadband modem to a different point in your home. Hope this helps.

+1

I was getting 2mb/s service, but it has changed dramatically since they essentially repaired damn near everything.
I managed to get 25mb/s even some days while they were putting their new network junk in. They claim the speeds in my area went up 50% (5mb/s to 7.5mb/s), but in reality, it was bucketloads. Though they actually throttle me to 7.5-10mb/s most days now (not all days though :lol:  )
My net would also drop several times a day randomly for a year or so, but now it only drops when they're servicing the lines.
October 14, 2009 3:27:51 PM

Good for you man, you have found a solution. Just a little trivia, I looking over a couple of articles and read that, IDK if you guys also read it but it says:
USA on average has only 4.9Mbps of download rate compared with Japan that has 69Mbps rate for downloads.

I'm quite amazed at what I saw, and difference in speed for both countries. I'm not sure about the accuracy of this report, just want to share this to all of you. :) 
July 12, 2011 5:14:04 PM

Fine!!!
I check my internet speed, through this site www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test
My speed test are :
upload speed:0.52 kbps
download speed:1.96 kbps
It has the best results for the internet speed test.........
!