New processor on old board

joemil

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Hey everyone,

I'm currently running a P4 2.8ghz processor on an Dell Computer Corp board - Model : 0c2425. I'm having trouble finding a list of compatible replacement processors. I was looking at an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual-core 4000+2.1 GHz that a friend of mine is getting rid of. Its not top of the line obviously but this is just a spare PC im adding it to. So, what I really need here is anyone with info. on how to find a list of compatible processors for this board, and an opinion as to whether stick with my single core 2.8 or go ahead and swap to the dual core 2.1ghz. Thanks in advance.

Joseph

Amen to that.

To be honest, the Socket 478 is an old socket type which is not supported these days. Intel's last update to their processor list for that socket was back in 2003 it appears:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/cs-007989.htm

If you'd had the socket 775 type Pentium 4, you could look at upgrading to a Core 2 or Core 2 Quad processor for a HUGE gain. However, as it is, you would have to replace your motherboard, memory, and processor to make anything at all happen.

Most Dell systems however, are not designed for future upgrade ability. So to be entirely honest, you probably need to simply build an entirely new PC.

I don't know what kind of budget you might have for such a thing, but an AMD system is fairly inexpensive these days. The AMD 64 4000+ that you mentioned however, is fairly old as well. It would also require a different motherboard. So at that point, it'd be a waste of money as it's just about obsolete in it's own rite.

Although I do have two Athlon X2 64 3500+ CPUs in box on my bookcase. Plus an Athlon X2 64 4400+ I just removed from an old system that now runs an Intel Q6600.

By the way: Knowing how Dell usually works. You may or may not be able to simply put a new motherboard into your existing Dell computer case. They often use Micro or specialized boards that just barely fit into their tiny enclosures. They're kind of a pain to work with. I tried putting an Asus A8N board with a 3500+ into my father in-law's Dell and quickly discovered that it wouldn't be possible. The case just wouldn't accept the board (even though it was large enough). They are pretty custom/proprietary setups.

TRENDING THREADS