I7 920 Power question

chicago30

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Why do people call this a power hog? Will I notice it on my electric bill? The processor it replaced was a E7400. Is it that much of a difference power wise?

The specs are:

i7 920
360 Power Supply
ATI 4670
640 WD HHD
dvd drive
6G DDR3

The max it can draw is 360/efficiency, which if the PSU is remotely modern, is around 360/0.85=425 watts or so. If your PSU is inadequate though, it might cause some problems.

shubham1401

Distinguished
Electricity bill won't increase substantially as that CPU would draw a lot of power only at times when it is at full load.

At idle they are all roughly same.

ANd ya you need a better PSU.

Prolly forgot to use "capacitor aging".....I use 25%. I came up with 332 watts to which I would normally multiple by 1.5 and select something around 500 watts are better.....that's continuous power watts not peak power which many cheapo vendors inappropriately use to rate their units.

Now if this is a "end of the line" PC, meaning, no future upgrades, I'd get something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371020

If I was thinking, yeah I am gonna upgrade this PC 1 or 2 years down the line, I'd look at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371017 or an equivalent by Corsair or PCP&C

If I was thinking med level SLI or a dual GPU card, I wouldn't go less than:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371018 or an equivalent by Corsair or PCP&C

shubham1401

Distinguished
650watt is not what he needs.
A quality 450w unit by corsair/Antec will do the job.

He is using a gfx card that doesn't even requires a 6pin power connector.

Take my advice buy Corsair VX450 or anything equivalent by some reputed brand.

maarkas

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Should he decide to upgrade on the 4670, a 450W PS would be real tight, if not outright weak. JackNaylorPE's post is spot on.

Not at all. You can run a 4850 and an i7-920 just fine on a good 450. Most people overestimate the power requirements of a modern computer.

Oh, and it's true that more is needed if you want a truly high end video setup, but considering that the OP is currently running a 4670, I wouldn't consider truly high end video as a very likely option.

Check the efficiency curve for the PSU you intend to buy. My Core i7 system uses a similar amount of power, and I bought an 565W Enermax Pro 82+ power supply because it is most efficient at about half load. I don't need 500+W of power, but buying that power supply means I draw the minimum amount of power from the wall socket at my normal load levels.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I advise staying under 80% of maximum PSU load at all times. The OP's system uses max. 230W on the 12V rail, so a minimum of 290W capacity on that rail (24A) is recommended, if that 360W PSU has 290W or more on the 12V rail than it will do, but it will fail once the OP gets a bigger graphics card.

I would agree, if he stayed at "stock" speeds. Capacitor aging only takes you to 322 watts. My 500 watt Antec / Corsair recommendation is intended to give the room and stability you'll need if you are going to OC as well as to keep fan noise down. Lately I have been perusing many 850 watt premium reviews and even on the top of the line models, they recommend no more than 600 watt constant draw on an 850 watt PSU not only to maintain clean power and stability but also the fan noise gets annoying under these loads.

It just has to be recognized that the purchase of a 450 watt PSU is a dead end one. That PSU will never be used in an "upgraded" PC. If you want to keep that PSU thru a vid card upgrade (or 2) and a processor upgrade (or 2) then that 450 watt PSU is going to wind up on a shelf in the closet.

chicago30

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Thank you for all the great reply's.

Will my GPU play modern games?