Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Shogun 2 Total War crashing any ideas?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 25, 2011 5:06:15 PM

As the title says I am having trouble with Shogun 2 total war. The game just freezes the PC, normally with a pixelated screen and all I can do is press reset. This happens randomly sometimes in a battle some times on the campaign map and sometimes between turns. I have tried turning my GPU fans up to 100% & changing graphics settings to low (high is default) and none of these made any difference. I then reinstalled the game which made it a bit better ie it normally takes longer to crash but its still bad, the other difference it made is before it would just totally freeze the screen and now it pixelates when in freezes. I updated the graphics card driver and that made all games have about a 50% chance of having crazy psychedelic colours all over the screen when they open and did not help the problem so I went back.
My PC spec is:
AMD Phenom 550BE unlocked to 4 core and running at 3.7GHz (Runs cool and stable for hours of prime 95)
Asrock 880G Extreme 3
2 x ATI Radeon 4870 512Mb in crossfire (these do run hot but don't cause a problem in other games)
4Gb 1333 DDR3 RAM
2 x 500GB Sata drives in RAID 0 can't remember make
The following games run fine:
Starcraft 2
COD MW2
Metro 2033
Blood Bowl
Empire Total War
Napoleon Total War
Fallout 3 (Crashed very occasionally seemed to be linked to certain areas)
Witcher 2 (not played for more than a few hours)
The only other game that has crashed alot is Fallout new vegas and I think that does for every one.

Anything else I can try or test?
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 26, 2011 4:27:31 PM

Update:

It plays OK for an hour or 2 then when it crashes and it will always crash again at close to the same point on that turn when you load the saved game
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 286 K Overclocking
May 26, 2011 4:49:37 PM

What happen if you remove the Crossfire and play with only one GPU?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2011 10:41:19 AM

Just tried it and still the same
m
l

Best solution

May 27, 2011 12:20:20 PM

have you swaped out the primary Graphics card and run with the other GPU. Your issue really does sound like one of your cards is on its way out.
a b U Graphics card
a c 286 K Overclocking
May 27, 2011 12:45:47 PM

^Do that too.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2011 8:14:29 PM

Thank you it runs fine with the second card only. So is my old primary card as good as dead? It is alot older than the other one, also it used to be my brothers and he said it didn't like some games (He just couldn't play them at all GTA4 was 1) do you think it could be linked to this or is it dieing?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 286 K Overclocking
May 27, 2011 8:42:31 PM

I think that it's just bad luck. You can test it again to re-check the problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2011 9:50:24 PM

I just tried it with the 2 cards back but the otherway round to before and it crashes again
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 286 K Overclocking
May 27, 2011 9:57:59 PM

Then, is the GPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 28, 2011 8:49:55 AM

Well it Mght be ok still if its running and "crashing" in the same spot in the game and your screen is pixilated or get squares or triangles thats do to memory problem...underclock the memory on the card in question and that could be it
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 7:16:56 AM

Thanks again everyone for the help on this when running just the 1 card now even Fallout New Vegas doesn't crash any more, its strange how all the other games didn't have a problem with it. Anyway my brother just upgraded his 4890 to a 6870 I think I can crossfire his 4890 with a 4870 and it will just run as 2 4870s is this correct? Also I was thinking of upgrading anyway. What card do you think is good but not overkill for 1920 x 1080 resolution?

Also if you are interested after speaking to my brother again (the faulty 4870 used to be his) I think it always had the problem.
m
l
June 2, 2011 1:10:14 PM

With that resolution i would go for one good card and not bother with SLI. I use 6970 and that more than works for me, maybe a 6950 could be worth a shot too if your on a bit more of a budget
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2011 4:30:39 PM

even an overclocked 5770 is a good enough card to run all current games that I have thrown at mine and for $120.....you cant beat the price/performance at that price and they x fire REALLY well....But I find that 1 good card is less hassle...some games dont support x fire so you are limited to one card for some games....and if you budget can handle gettin the 6950 then that IS the better choice that gfx card got good reviews
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2011 8:02:19 PM

Not sure what your having problems with...But on both my pc's i don't crash at all on shogun 2...Even on my gateway computer with a quad core and a 3870 running running windows vista it doesn't crash...My new system has a i5 2500k with 4gigs of ram and a gtx 295 and it doesn't crash while even playing for 5 hours or so...Crashing can also happen if you don't have a legit copy of windows 7...I know people who would crash all the time because they weren't using a legit version of windows...Also you can try increasing your voltage on your ram..that sometimes helps also..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2011 4:37:04 AM

simon12 said:
Thanks again everyone for the help on this when running just the 1 card now even Fallout New Vegas doesn't crash any more, its strange how all the other games didn't have a problem with it. Anyway my brother just upgraded his 4890 to a 6870 I think I can crossfire his 4890 with a 4870 and it will just run as 2 4870s is this correct? Also I was thinking of upgrading anyway. What card do you think is good but not overkill for 1920 x 1080 resolution?

Also if you are interested after speaking to my brother again (the faulty 4870 used to be his) I think it always had the problem.

So how is everything goin for your games? up and runnin?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2011 12:09:40 AM

Best answer selected by simon12.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2011 12:11:36 AM

Cheers everyone, my single remaining 4870 runs better on its own than I thought so I will wait for the 6950s to come down in price or upgrade when I get a game I feel needs it. Thanks again
m
l
March 26, 2012 5:45:04 PM

Bigmac80 said:
...Crashing can also happen if you don't have a legit copy of windows 7...I know people who would crash all the time because they weren't using a legit version of windows...

Oh no... Thats all I have to say. I don't have a legit copy of windows 7, but I have a legit copy of the game. I mean I only actually crash on select games and my computer is no push over, but ive been thinking my problem might be related to my AMD FX six core with launching deus ex and shogun 2 freezes on the first screen. not even menu the first damn screen. I can run games like battlefield 3 and Skyrim on ultra spec but I can't run deus ex or shogun 2 damnit.
m
l
!