stew198269

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
how can i put this i no how to overclock my cpu to a tea but when overclocking the ram do u do it the same as the cpu where you change the ram volts when crash and just keep upping it till its stable....? or do u overclock ram a different way never overclocked it before and was thinking about it cheers for the help anyone

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Overclocking your ram will not give you any performance boost. You will only see an improvement in synthetic benchmarks. You shouldn't run your ram at a higher voltage than the stock voltage. It is not recommended by many. If you have your CPU was overclocked by increasing the bus speed your ram should also have increased in speed (by default). I recommend running your ram at stock speeds/timings and stock voltage.

Overclocking your CPU will give you better results than overclocking your ram, therefore, it is not needed.

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Cool man. I am actually running my ram at a lower frequency (1750mhz) than the stock 2000mhz. I just couldn't find a decent ratio between my CPU/BCLK/RAM so I chose to sacrifice some of my rams performance for more cpu power.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
with over clocking my rig I did the cpu first and went to the ram read everywhere that lower ram times are better Im not a pro by far on it but I found that overclocking the ram by downing the timings just could not balance my system kept crashing with memory problems but found that loosing the timings got me a faster stable ram...totally opposite of what I have read. ram is one of the easier for overclocking beginners cuz you wont fry anything in the process if you dont mess with the voltage of course. But my advice is read up on what your ram and mobo and see if some one has the same set up as you....or if your not satisfied with your ram then upgrade. hopes this sheds some light from my point.

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Tighter timings will of coarse improve performance but then again, higher frequency will do the same. A general formula:

<<< Lower latency (timings) <<< =

>>> Higher frequency (MHz) >>> =

7, 7, 7, 20 DDR3 at 1,333MHz is faster than 9, 9, 9, 24 DDR3 at 1,333MHz.

7, 7, 7, 20 DDR3 at 1,600MHz is faster than 7, 7, 7, 20 DDR3 at 1,333MHz.

To figure out which is faster, so far as a combination of frequency and timings, the general formula is:

x = CAS (first number in the timing set) ÷ Frequency

For example:

a) 7, 7, 7, 20 DDR3 at 1,333MHz. 7 ÷ 1333 = ~0.00525

b) 9, 9, 9, 24 DDR3 at 1,600MHz. 9 ÷ 1600 = ~0.00563

Therefore, a is faster than b, as a has a latency 7.2% lower than b. It takes the least time to perform an operation.

When overclocking, to take the RAM out of the equation, set loose (high) timings and low frequencies, so you are effectively running the RAM at quarter throttle. Once you have your CPU overclock steady, gradually increase RAM frequencies and/or lower RAM timings to get the fastest possible RAM speeds.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
good General guide for timings from cromedome...Good post. but with that in mind you also have to watch your frequency when you are using your fsb because that ups your ram frequency, your northbridge and cpu. But if you are only raising your multiplier for your cpu cromedomes guide is a good one.