Storage system with no IT support

yoman

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I am working in a company that required to more harddisk space, One option is to install more server harddisk which the qoute was unbeliveable expensive due to the profit margin they need.

The other option is to get a storege system and back up the non daily use data like 500GB to 1 TB monthly.

Is there a a storeage system that do not need any IT set up.

I am thinking of an USB harddisk which do not need IT support. Does anyone have any better suggestion?

Moreover, do you know any external hardisk that do not need IT support but have raid build in?

If I goes for NAS option, DO I need the support from IT.

Thanks for any suggestion.

FireWire2

Distinguished

There is stand alone driver-less raid box offers quad interface: USB/eSATA and FireWire

you just plug in Whola! the drive shows up

yoman

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
thanks, this seen to be a good option, but I am located in UK. they doesn't seen to sell them here. iS there any alternative made which do simlar function? such as netgear, Iomega or Buffalo?

Mant thanks

An NAS would cost you about $600. Add 4 drives and your done, I'd use Seagate 7200.12' because:

1) they are 1/8th as loud (7 dB lower) as the next competitive drive and run substantially cooler

2) They have a promo code at the moment

$555 Combo w/ 1 x NETGEAR RNDU4000-100NAS and 1 x Seagate 1 TB 7200.12
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.575437

$60 Seagate 1 TB 7200.12 - $10 off w/ promo code EMCKHHH26, ends 2/28
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

Interface and administration is easy w/ good forum based support. Access is provided via group policies. You can backup via USB for offsite storage. Two drives need to be used as a minimum. The unit fits four. Where N = number of drives, storage capacity w/ X-RAID is approximately equal to (N - 1) x Drive capacity

2 Drives = 1 TB
3 Drives = 2 TB
4 Drives = 3 TB

RAID provides data redundancy for a drive failure, entire unit the size of 304 paperback books. I have one at home office....if there's a fire, I can grab it and run.....then go back for the kids :)

yoman

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Someone suggest me to use DAS direct attrach storage rather than NAS as they said they are faster.

What do you think of a DAS? do they need any IT skill and network admin to use them?

Every computer device will need IT support and networking. You need to set it up, need to share it, need to setup backups to it, need to test backups (good luck if you don't and you need to restore), asigning rights, file quotas for users, etc...

FireWire2

Distinguished
yoman

With DAS - direct attached storage, your system sees it as a drive, there is not much of IT requires, as long as you know format, partition... a basic computer skill

where NAS is a bit more:
You need to know: IP address, share configure, mapping a network drive, ping ( to troubleshoot), but those are relative easy to learn ( just google it)

But definitely most of the time NAS is SLOWER than DAS