Sign in with
Your question

"Disk read error occurred" during Windows XP System Restore -- Help!!

Last response: in Storage
February 23, 2011 9:59:03 PM

Hi,
I did a system restore on my Dell computer today (older--bought it at the end of 2005) -- when trying to reverse this, I got the "black screen" that says "A Disk Read Error Occurred-- Press Contrl/Alt/Delete to restart"
When I do that it just goes back to the Dell startup screen, and then back to that black screen, again and again.
It won't let me type in any commands, or even any of the F keys
I am running Windows XP home edition

Help! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this?
February 23, 2011 11:59:28 PM

Can you get to the Dell recovery on startup? May be your only option...
m
l
a b G Storage
February 24, 2011 12:05:34 AM

I'm not sure I understand what you did

please explain in detail what issues made you decide to system restore and what
"""I did a system restore on my Dell computer today (older--bought it at the end of 2005) -- when trying to reverse this""" means

you tried to reverse the system restore you just did?

or it wont boot now and you are trying to fix it?

Probably need to do the dell recovery cd or whatever key loads the recovery partition/bios

try hitting tab or esc to get out of the dell boot splash screen
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2011 12:22:44 AM

Hi again,
The system restore was to a point about 2 months ago, to undo a printer driver/plug in installation that had been troublesome. But it took away some other programs I had installed since then, so I attempted to undo the restore. That's where I got into trouble...now it won't reboot. I can get to the F12 menu, however
m
l
a b G Storage
February 24, 2011 12:24:28 AM

There are three reasons that you get a disk read error,

1) The hard disk is faulty
2) The memory is faulty
3) You have buggy software.

I suggest that you backup any data that you have on the drive as soon as possible. To test the drive download the manufactures drive diagnostic utility, to test the memory download memtest86. I doubt that faulty software is the cause of your problem. If you cannot boot your system you can test the drive and recover your data on another computer and the memory test does not require the hard drive to be working.

m
l
!