Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

CORE i5 AND i7 WINDOWS XP COMPATIBLE

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Compatibility
  • Intel i5
  • Windows XP
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 15, 2009 8:01:42 PM

I'M BUILDING A NEW PC FOR MY FRIEND USING THE NEW 1156 i5/i7 MOTHERBOARDS. MY FRIEND WANTS WINDOWS XP. IS IT COMPATIBLE WITH XP?

More about : core windows compatible

a b à CPUs
September 15, 2009 8:09:37 PM

Yes

Now, please turn off your caps lock.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2009 8:12:39 PM

1) Your keyboard appears to be broken. Perhaps you would like to fix it.
2) Yes, they are completely compatible (though there really isn't any reason to go with anything other than windows 7 x64 in any new build).
Score
0
Related resources
September 15, 2009 11:26:58 PM

Thanks
Score
0
April 9, 2010 1:11:47 AM

How I can do to install Windows XP on the machine (toshiba core i5)?, If even when I have Downgrade Kit Microsoft can not find the hard drive?
Score
0
April 9, 2010 1:40:07 AM

I would not recommend using Win XP with a Core i3/5/7 machine.

Win XP Home is only for single core CPUs. Win XP Pro has SMP, which can recognise multiple CPUs. But XP was released in 2001, and back then multi-core didn't exist, only multi-socket CPUs (2 CPUs each in it's own socket).

Windows 7 would recognise and properly use multi-core CPUs.

Why would anyone use a 2001 OS with a 2010 CPU?
Score
0
a c 172 à CPUs
April 9, 2010 4:39:01 AM

cjl said:

2) Yes, they are completely compatible (though there really isn't any reason to go with anything other than windows 7 x64 in any new build).

If only because most new builds have 4 - 6 GB in them and most XP installations are 32 bit.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2010 7:18:38 AM

bql500 said:

Why would anyone use a 2001 OS with a 2010 CPU?


Because its still better. And its been updated so its not a 2001 os anymore.

XP is the greatest OS in microsoft history by far. And it still has plenty of life. And its cheaper than buying a new OS.
Score
0
April 9, 2010 7:56:21 AM

FALC0N said:
Because its still better. And its been updated so its not a 2001 os anymore.

XP is the greatest OS in microsoft history by far. And it still has plenty of life. And its cheaper than buying a new OS.



Welcome to Tom's, newcomer.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2010 8:02:15 AM

bql500 said:
Win XP Home is only for single core CPUs. Win XP Pro has SMP, which can recognise multiple CPUs.

These two sentences are unrelated and the first is completely wrong. Win XP Home is entirely capable of using 8 threads, just like Pro. SMP has nothing to do with that. SMP is for multiple CPUs in separate sockets. If you're running such a system then the chances are you're not an average user and should not be using Home.
Score
0
December 1, 2010 8:55:12 AM

bql500 said:
Why would anyone use a 2001 OS with a 2010 CPU?


In order to browse images stored on whatever medium or empty the recycle bin more quickly for instance...?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2010 9:24:17 AM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
Score
0
!