whop1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Could I boot from my IDE SSD. Then run 2 different SSDS in raid and then have another IDE drive for storage?

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

what kind of computer..

mainly motherboard model.

you could do something similar to that but it makes no real sense to.

also what is the models of ssd

tecmo34

Administrator

Typically, your motherboard will have two SATA controllers (native &/or JMicron/Marvell. The different ports (controllers) are represented by the different color SATA port. These have their own settings in the BIOS where you can run them in IDE, AHCI or RAID for example.

Yes, it is okay to run the drive off AHCI.

tecmo34

Administrator

You are correct... your board has an Intel ICH10R controller and Marvell® 9128 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller, along with JMicron® JMB363 PATA and SATA controller for your eSATA.

whop1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I have 3 ssds, an intel ssd (38gb) that i use for windows and similar things, 2 ocz vertex 50 gbs and a 500gb 7200rpm hdd. which 2 ssds should i run off of which controller and which one should i run ahci off? Should I also not run my dvd drive off of ahci?

tecmo34

Administrator

whop1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
ideally id like both of my ocz vertex on raid 0 for all my games while my intel ssd is not on raid but used for os with my 500gb hdd used to storage.

sorry to ask such noobish questions but i've never setup hard drive stuff before :(

how could i go about running those 2 on raid on the sata 3 while i still have the others in ahci?