novagiant

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
OK i wann get the Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 Video Card
and I need a 450watt power supply i currently only have a 240watt.

Here are my spec's

HP d530 CMT

512 ram 3.0 gigaherz prossesor
mother board HP d530 SFF (DC578AV)

Iv never upagrade a power supply before and thing esle you need to know?

Solution

I absolutely agree. In my case I bought a 500W Seasonic almost 4 years ago and it is still working well. It can support up to ATI 48xx GPU card. Some PSUs have branding "gimmicks". You really have to check them thoroughly.

novagiant

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail scrach what i said (will this one work )??

novagiant

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Will it work or not i shouldn't have to answer. lol just kidding, its because in about 6 month i'm going to move it to my new rig that im biulding my self. so will it work or not????????????????

novagiant

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

so I need to measure it first an get back to you right?

nashlofer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
OK i wann get the Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 Video Card
and I need a 450watt power supply i currently only have a 240watt.

Congratulations on your new video card. How long have you been using your P.S.?
I would recommend Seasonic, buy the higher wattage (600-700W) for future upgrades. Have been using my PS for 4 yrs now (Seasonic 500W), I upgraded my video card to HD4830 and my power supply doesn't have any problem.

Good luck to you.

mezal1981

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
make a right choice,buy the psu is one major factor to build a new rig. its like feature investment, like a car is useless to upgrade the horse power is u could not increase the tork of engine. right now im use the real power 1000 w.for the future planing i like to upgrade to I7 without worry about the power a wise man is to see the future and planing for better tomorrow.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
you dont need a 1000watt power supply unless you have something like 3x 500$ graphic cards.

a 750watt is plenty for future overkill purposes.

also I wouldnt recommend a coolermaster power supply as a quality brand

I'd rather have a pc power & cooling, enermax, seasonic in a 750 first.

my 300watt enermax (5 years old now) weighed more than the 650watt coolermaster my friend had.

nashlofer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009

I absolutely agree. In my case I bought a 500W Seasonic almost 4 years ago and it is still working well. It can support up to ATI 48xx GPU card. Some PSUs have branding "gimmicks". You really have to check them thoroughly.

Solution

cytherians

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
The HP D530 CMT was a very solid computer. There were some BIOS issues in the beginning, but those were solved by HP. Overall, you can pick up a decent used D530 CMT for under $100 (no peripherals). It's a great way to get a solid desktop computer for general computing. The case is all metal, except for the face plate, and well put together.

However, the main catch is the PSU. It is a proprietary 240W unit, which has an unusual physical configuration. You cannot buy just any PSU to replace it, unless you wish to do some heavy duty modifications to your computer case. The OEM PSU has the switch and power socket on the same side as the exhaust fan. If you get a PSU with the exhaust fan on a different side, you're going to end up pumping air INTO the case, rather than out of it. That's a recipe for serious dust accumulation.

The other limitation is that the CPU can't be upgraded past a single core 3.2GHz. One other limitation is 4Gb of memory, which isn't too bad.

These days it's so cheap to get a new computer. However, the inexpensive ones will almost surely have a motherboard with many limitations. The better route is to buy a tower, motherboard, and CPU combination from a seller like NewEgg. They often run specials and you can secure yourself a very decent deal. The only other thing is to remember that there are bound to be tons of "little things" you need to buy that add up quickly... That's why a very good used computer is a great way to go.

Nobody has yet posted a really good writeup on a PSU upgrade for a D530 CMT. I hope to do one myself and post the results...

novagiant

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Who im impressed that was really helpful. My cousin got rid of this computer for no good reason. When i got it the dust was horrible. i want to build a new computer but this one is find and working great so i can wait a while thanks