Just wondering whether it's possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

refugeesus

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
If i OC my xfx 5850 in my pc, then remove it and put it in another pc, will I have to redo the OC or does the initial OC hold true for the life of the card?

And if not, why not?

Solution
If you are using software to overclock your graphics card, the overclocking software will have to be installed onto the other computer and then you can set it to the same overclock. The software only overclocks the graphics card when that software is running -- if you un-install or disable the software, the graphics card will no longer be overclocked.

If you enabled the overclock in the graphics card's BIOS, then it will stay overclocked even if moved to a different computer. The ability to do this is very rare though.
If you are using software to overclock your graphics card, the overclocking software will have to be installed onto the other computer and then you can set it to the same overclock. The software only overclocks the graphics card when that software is running -- if you un-install or disable the software, the graphics card will no longer be overclocked.

If you enabled the overclock in the graphics card's BIOS, then it will stay overclocked even if moved to a different computer. The ability to do this is very rare though.

Solution

acer0169

Distinguished

Only of course if the overclock is via the GPU BIOS.

If you overclock with MSI or RivaTuner or something, then only when them programs are running (background services) you'll have the overclock. Uninstall the programs, format your computer or put your card in another computer and you'll lose your settings.

Use the BIOS for overclock isn't a good idea IMO, can be do it but takes a long time.

acer0169

Distinguished

Exactly..

You just put 'yes' as an answer.. when he gave a choice so I was just making it clear.

For GPU overclocking, software is the way to go unless you're serious with water cooling and after some crazy speeds, but even then software would do you most the way.

I'll say that it's not for everyone, and can be risky, but BIOS overclocking really isn't that hard. Well at least with ATI it's not, I don't know about Nvidia cards. I've flashed both my 5850's at least a dozen times testing different settings, although I already had a good idea where to set them from using MSI Afterburner.

Anyway, just write down the settings and you're basically good to go.

acer0169

Distinguished
I've overclocked my NVIDIA cards via BIOS before without issue - it is pretty simple.

I removed the overclock though as I was having issues with old drivers and it's simpler to have software that I can simply disable / enable when testing or updating drivers.

Now the only thing I've done to my GPUs hardware is up the voltage so I can get a nice 22% overclock.

BIOS overclock and editing isn't a problem always that you do it right.

I changed the BIOS of my old MSI GTX 260 for and EVGA GTX 260 with better clocks and lower voltage without problems, but for practice you will take a long time using BIOS overclock, while with software you can do it in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.