Just want advertised speed(?).

moabak

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I have this motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Which states this about it's memory capabilities in it's specs:

"DDR3 1866(OC)/1333/1066 *To reach DDR3 1866MHz or above, you must install two memory modules and install them in the DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 memory sockets."

I installed this ram in the 3 and 4 sockets:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-4GBXL

According to CPU-Z the dram is running at 803.9. Which tells me the ram is running roughly at 1600. How do I adjust the bios to get the full 1866 out of the ram? I don't want to "overclock" per se. I just want to get what is advertised out of the motherboard. What is the correct way to do this? Are there any indepth tutorials out there I should be following? I really don't want to mess up my motherboard. And have even considered asking Gigabyte for their official method. But it doesn't seem like it should be that hard.

Thanks for any help you might have.

moabak

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
That was complete Greek to me. I didn't understand any of it. Can you tell me step by step what I need to do to achieve the rams full potential?

I sincerely thank you for your response. I'm just a total newbie to this. And not looking to become an expert I just want to take advantage of the ram I bought.

muz_j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
...if your motherboard's BIOS support XMP, then that's probably a simpler and easier option for you, as you won't need to enter memory timings yourself.

Check your motherboard's manual. XMP might not work with your specific memory DIMMs if they are not supported, but it's worth a shot as it effectively automates setting the timings and speed of the DIMMs and can be a simple way to solve the exact problem you are having.

...or alternatively you can do the reading and set your memory timings & settings manually as previously advised :)

moabak

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I looked for XMP in my bios and in my manual and nothing. I really don't have it in me to figure out how to do this manually. I guess I'll just live with it. Unless XMP is something you can ad to your bios yourself?

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

The slot numbers in CPUZ do not necessarily correspond to the socket numbers on your motherboard. Don't worry about that.

You are going to have to muck around in BIOS. You may have to change a multiplier. Some motherboards allow you to pick our RAM's target clock in stead of picking a multiplier. It's basically the same thing.