Did I mess up my new external HDD? Takes ages to format?

hardwarefan21

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hi all, I just took reciept of a Toshiba external hard drive I ordered and I'm kinda concerned I might have screwed it up.

I got it this morning and plugged it in. When I double clicked on it I expected to be able to immdediately start transferring my *** to it. But clicking on it opened this application menu where I was given options if I wanted to install some crappy bloatware like Kapersky Internet Security or whatever. I was irritated at this attempt to peddle useless crap to me and so I went to Disk Management, right clicked on the external hard drive and clicked Format. I thought that was how you're supposed to do it? No progress bar or anything came up and it seemed to be over in a flash.

So when I tried to double click on the HDD it now said the "application could not be found" and wouldn't open the contents. I was concerned at this point so I unplugged the HDD and put it back in. After this I was given a prompt to format the disk and that's what it has been doing for like the past hour or so. The problem is that the progress bar has only moved a tiny bit! I forecast that this will take hours and hours to complete. Is that a result of my actions? It's a 640GB drive, do drives of this size usually take a long time to format?

PS: After viewing the HDD in properties it says it has 0 bytes free and 0 bytes taken up.

hardwarefan21

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
It won't let me delete the thread but I solved the problem. I closed down the formatting and did Quick Format instead which took like less than a minute to complete and the drive is working fine. It was my first time with an external hard drive (lol) so I was unaware.

You didn't mess anything up. A large drive will take a long time to format. Watching grass grow comes to mind.

The best thing to do is let the system run overnight or over part of the weekend if you are talking about a 2 TB drive.