Help, im new and confused

razzza

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Ok, im very new to building pc's and things and i have just recently bought a computer from my local computer shop, i told him roughly what i wanted and he said he'de get me all the parts and he went through them and they all seemed ok:

AMD Phenom ii x4 945 Processor
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P Motherboard
Gigabyte 9600GT Silent Cell Graphics
OCZ 4Gb DDR3-1333 Reaper Heat Pipe RAM
Strada EZCOOL 700w Power Supply

I thought all this was ok, so i booted everything up and got it all running everything wired correctly and all. At first it seemed fast but it really wasnt, and i also tried using AMD Overdrive to find what the specs and things were, it tells me that my core speed is 800mhz, NB core 2004mhz, voltage 1v, core multiplier 4x, NB multiplier 10x... i also did a benchmark test on it and got just under 2000 which to me seems low and from the computers ive seen on other sites whove used the Overdrive benchmark they have nearly 10000 or over with similar things... I need serious help to why its so slow...

What benchmark did you run? When you checked it using AMD Overdrive it was likely idle and was in power saving mode leading to the 800MHz clock. Check it while the processor is under load like while you are running a benchmark to see the real clock frequency and make sure that is correct.

razzza

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
As i said im very new, so could you explain what you mean ? is there any really good benchmark programs that i could use ? or is there any methods to put the processor under stress ? needs to be explained as simple as possible please :)

You said that you did a benchmark test and it got under 2000, what was the name of that benchmark, also run that again and use AMD overdrive to check the core speed while you are running the benchmark.

razzza

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Ahhh ok, I used the benchmark that comes on AMD Overdrive, as 3DMarkVantage wont work on my screen resolution, and i am going to put it on my hdtv soon to do that but i am currently downloading Cinebench... i looked at the core speed whilst it was running and it still said 800mhz still...