marmarmas

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
computer is just to slow, have been getting low disc space popup, system bout 5 yrs old, running xp. no major gaming, use for business and pleasure. internet really slow, running wireless network. dell
want to install myself if necessary, but dont know what to buy..

When is the time you:

1) - Did a Disk Cleanup.
2) - Disk defragmentation.
3) - Scanned for Virus & Malware

marmarmas

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Thanks,
I run Microsoft Essentials, so it runs everyday.

Microsoft essentials does not scan every day. It provides a level of security by running realtime to protect your computer. I am talking about starting a Scan of your hard drive to check for virus/malware. And believe me, MSE, will not catch everything; No single antivirus or malware/spyware product will.

That is why it is good to have an extra layer of protection.
Go to this site http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Click on products & download the free scanner and start a scan.
This is an excellent malware scanner.

mysdyva

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Hello there. I have a couple questions for you:

You say you are getting a "low disk space" pop-up. How big is your hard drive? How much space is left on your hard drive? Is your hard drive a SATA or an IDE? Is your software completely up to date?

Ok, forget about speed up my pc.
If you went to the link for malwarebytes, and could not get there,
your computer is infected.

Boot into safe mode, with networking, and download the free scanner, (under produc ts)

Run the scan

marmarmas

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Ran the scan in safemode:
CPU 2.53
2527MZ 32 BIT MICROPRO SKT 1.1
MAINBOARD OTC667 DELL (2004)
MEM 512MB
TEMP 41C 105F
VCARD 82865G
AVAIL SPACE 2.71GB
TOTAL SZ HARD DRIVE 76.4
TOTAL MEM 510
SCAN
82% STABILITY
NO MALWARE
LOW WINDOWS DAMAGE
NOW WHAT DO I DO?
DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT PROGRAM TO FIX OR CAN YOU HELP ME?
THANKS AGAIN

I do not know what you downloaded or Ran, but this is not the results of a Malwarebytes Scanner Scan. And, you do not have to pay for the free version to fix infections which it detects.

marmarmas

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

I went to malwarebytes.org like you told me i clicked on free scan-
Reimage 1.5.2.3 ran a scan on the computer and these were the results.

marmarmas

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
just a quick note i just checked again and when i clicked the free downlad at malwarebytes.org it directed to majorgeeks.com and i downlkoaded the free scaan. guess that wasnt supposed to happen?????UGH!

When you go to Malwarebytes to download, they will direct you to one of their "Mirror Sites" to get the Product you are Requesting.

Majorgeeks is one, CNET is another. Both are ok to download from, but you have to be careful what you click on once you get to those sites. They are confusing, as they will have multiple downloads for different products on the same page. You obviously clicked on another product.

marmarmas

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
thats what i did, and you said thats not a malware scan. there is nothing else i can try on the site, it stated that there were no virus or malware found as i stated above.

mysdyva

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Hello,

I just thought I would point out that you are dangerously close to filling your hard drive up. You only have 2.71GB of space left out of a 76GB hard drive, and that can slow your computer down. Do you have a lot of music or video files on your computer? If so, those take up a vast amount of space.

Also, 512MB of RAM is not much especially considering the typical Website. Is your Internet consistently slow or is it only on certain sites?

Was instructed early on in post to cleanup the drive. Didn't notice the small ram - Good catch !

The Malwarebytes Scanner will delete or quarantiein infections it finds.
If you were able to run the scan in Normal mode, there is no need to run it in safe mode, as the scan is less effective in safe mode.

Did you run a quick scan or full scan ?

Here is what I suggest.
1) Run back to back Quick Scans until MBAM finds no Infections. It will tell you when it has found none. You can also click on the GUI to look at the scan logs.

2) When no infections are found, run a Full Scan, and select all Drives attached to your Computer. Full Scan will also look in non standard locations for infections, which Quick scan does not.

3) Delete all your system restore points, so you do not reintroduce any infections, should you have to use the restore function.

Note:With that many infections (over 100), the best thing to do is backup your personal files & Drivers, and format the hard drive to reinstall your Operating System. Then you can copy drivers & personal files back to the new installation. Also as mentioned by mysdva, in today's world 512 RAM should be increased, and to the MAX, if you can afford it.

mysdyva

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Also, a 76GB hard drive is also considered small by today's standards. Thanks to mp3's and video files, it is easy to fill up 50GB of space in a small amount of time. In addition to upgrading your RAM, I would spring for a bigger hard drive. They are fairly inexpensive.

marmarmas

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

hey ksiemb,
thanks alot for all your help, greatly appreciated, think you can guide me as to how to increase RAM and opinion on hardrive to buy as well as instruct me on how to install?
thanks again

RAM: Go to this site (Crucial.com) - Download and run their scanner. It will show you how many slots you have, what is unused, what you have installed, Max RAM for your unit, and recommend compatible memory.

As far as installation procedures for RAM & Hard Drive, if you do not have one, go to your computer MFG site and download Owner manual for your model. No sense in me retyping what is already in there. Both procedures are fairly simple.

marmarmas

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

thanks alot once again for your help
happy thanksgiving too