Sign in with
Your question

Can This Model take use a Dual Core?

Last response: in CPUs
September 16, 2009 12:11:07 AM

Hey guys.

I recently inherited a Dell Dimension 5150 from my brother, because my good computer's motherboard apparently is screwed up. I want to soup up this computer, then get a macbook.

So far, im planning on proably bringing the 250gb harddrives over form my old pc to this new one, and buying 4 gigabytes of ram upgrade (it's currently using 1gb), as a i do some gaming, along with video editing. What i was really interested in on top of that though was upgrading the processor. Right now it's a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz. I wanted to buy a dual core processor, but i don't know if this model can even use them.

PS: I know this is a crummy dell, but i simply dont have the money to completely rebuild a new computer from scratch.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Noah.

More about : model dual core

a b à CPUs
September 16, 2009 1:09:32 AM

Doubtful. You cant buy a decent core 2 duo, what makes you think you can afford a macbook.

A entry level 45nm intel cpu and new mobo will run you like $100 for both.
September 16, 2009 1:59:24 AM

Well i can afford a macbook, but can't afford both. I am now thinking of just making a new builld, 3 ghz dual core, 4 gb ram, 2 250gb SATA HD (one for backup), i already have a good soundcard
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2009 3:00:05 AM

Upgrading a Dell from a single to dual core, very, very unlikely, unless you can find a BIOS update for the board.
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2009 3:40:11 AM

If you can afford a Macbook buy a good desktop and a decent laptop, Macbooks are a huge waste of money.
January 18, 2012 2:22:43 AM

IM ON THE SAME PAGE WITH THE DIMENSION 5150 ... I WANT TO UPGRADE MY PROCESSOR .
I ACTUALLY HAVE A PENTIUM D DUAL CORE IN IT IS THERE ANY POSSIBLE UPGRADE FOR IT????
!