P4GV-LA motherboard in a Compaq Presario SR1503WM problems

RleeMatt

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
My pc stopped seeing the hard drive. Clicking F1 and going into setup it shows the dvd - cd r/w but not the hard drive. Tried 3 other hard drives and same thing. Setup shows the cdrom on the secondary channel as the master. I changed the jumper to slave and it shows up just fine. None of the hard drives show in setup on either of the channels as slave or master and even tried the cable select jumper. Problem is, The pc just won't see anything but the cdrom, and not any hard drive. Any ideas?

RleeMatt

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I've tried tried different hard drives and different cables too. The puzzling thing is that the dvd-cd works on all 4 channels as either master or slave. I disconnected the cable from the dvd and connected it to 3 different, (working) hard drives but bios just doesn't see anything but the dvd

RleeMatt

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I found the problem. This PC belongs to my father who is elderly and a bit too trusting of the people around his house. Seems the PC originally had 1G of ram and that disappeared and a 256M [BAD] memory stick is in it's place. I installed new ram and all is okay.