Using a 350watt gpu on a 300watt power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

livegamer1

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I don't know the power rating of my power supply but I think it's a 300watt
My gpu needs a 350watt power supply

I am running it on that 300watt power supply
I want to know that is it possible that 350watt gpu can run on a 300watt power supply and what are the bad consequences that can happen?

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
is plainly a bad idea

it might manage if lucky to struggle along for a short time - sounds like you are already doing this !?
though depending on which GPU you have, they no doubt spec'd it to include the system as well as one card

It will stress the PSU beyond what it was designed for, and will cause system instability when it fails to keep all voltages within designated ranges when it is over stressed... leading to crashes etc

or even cause the PSU to blow which could take out other PC components as it goes down :ouch:
especially possible on no name cheapo brands.

I highly recomend going with a brand that has a good reputation - am sure you are about to get a host of recomendations :D
Plan for you future - if you want SLI / XFire later etc

and get one that should easily cover your system. A Quality 5 - 600 watt supply should be plenty for single GPU systems

for Example I run:

Q6600 @ 3 - 3.6GHz
8800GT
6 HDD's
X-Fi Gamer SoundBlaster
Seasonic 500w PSU
Fan controller, 5 x 120 mil fans and usual bits and bobs....

never goes over 265 watts even under load - have my system on a load monitor all the time for curiosity

Upgrade that PSU sooner rather than later ~_^

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007

To be so vehement without the ability to read between the lines is a little depressing...
sorry I took it for granted that livegamer1 might be intelligent, as you clearly are not :pfff:

let me explain what I wrote so it is a "little" easier to understand for you...

"it might manage if lucky to struggle along for a short time - sounds like you are already doing this !?
though depending on which GPU you have (clearly a question), they no doubt spec'd it to include the system as well as one card "

"and get one that should easily cover your system. A Quality 5 - 600 watt supply should be plenty for single GPU systems "
(pointed out that it should be more than probably needed - as people seem overly keen on Oversized PSU's, which are Totally unnecessary)

and then to make that Even clearer:

I point out my system never even comes close to what a 500watt PSU provides even loaded with HDD's and OC'd a lot !!!

All hinting at the possibility that depending on some of his answers, what he has already "might" even be ok, if his is a quality PSU...

Learn to read mate, before launching into Full Flame mode :non:

@ Livegamer1: Is this, by any chance, a Dell we're talking about here? If so do n't be too worried, their power supplies are famously underrated.
If it's not a dell: Exactly which PSU is it? Exactly which GPU is it? Most companies overstate the power needs of thair GPUs' to counter for the large number of poor quality power supplies out there.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
^ Can we be peaceful!

OP depends, can you give us the spec of your psu? Companies overate how much power they need. For instance my 2 gtx260 sli need about 650w+ but im running it on a high quality 500w. So i need the spec of your psu and what graphic card your looking at.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Other good people here are capable of reading...

You suggest I am backtracking... ---further proof that even my explaining what I wrote was a little beyond your comprehension lol

Clearly I am "opening a dialogue" in the way I wrote what I did.... inviting him gently to provide more info as he felt like
not everyone has to Directly ask in extremely obvious terms for what they want :heink:

suggesting a possible 500 - 600 watt supply MAX saying it was More than plenty

and Further emphasising this by pointing out my system: "never goes over 265 watts even under load"

Quite clearly indicating that depending on his GPU choice with a good PSU he "might" be ok as is.

All the points in my original post openly invite further information to be provided, I have no need to backtrack on anything.

Go back to school fool... you seem to be a little deficient in the brain department, and manners...

and let us get to the bottom of what his requirements are without more of your idiocy

lol, nice :D

I really do wonder what the actual wattage of that Dell PSU is. Is it equivalent of a 400watt PSU maybe?

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007

hmm, no helping some sadly...

#1 I clearly explained how and where I asked the questions etc which any sensible person could see, which you failed to understand both 1st time around and even after I took time out to explain it...
Here one of my more obvious questions for the 3rd time : "though depending on which GPU you have..." = a question, gently prompted

he gave very little info in his post, suggesting in doing so that probably his PSU was a no brand one - in which case should be replaced soonest.

#2 Nowhere do I mention a 650watt PSU...
I mentioned a Generous 5-600watt PSU (5-600 in layman’s terms means 500 to 600 Not 650... :pfff: )

and people have a tendency to like to get a somewhat larger than necessary PSU, so I suggested the biggest I hoped he would get. Then Very Clearly pointed out that one that big was Very likely unnecessary. Followed by saying than he would probably get a slew of suggestions of models to choose from - many of which suggestions I imagine would be about 450 - 500watt + ---> about what I suggested (bearing in mind how I Extremely clearly pointed out how my 500watt Seasonic was overkill)

Hopefully you can manage to grasp those simple facts the 3rd time around, else any further response will probably be quite futile :sarcastic:

I thought what I originally said was pretty clear and to the point given the limited initial information available...

if nitpicking was what we are about then your:

"3. and if you do need a new PSU, you certainly need no where near 650w for a 350w card."

if his card alone was 350 watt as you suggest - then damn, but you'd want a new PSU pretty quick

oop, and here is ct1615 pointing out a recommendation of just what I suggested in my 1st post: "* edit, I did toss in a 500w PC P&C PSU for when I upgraded the CPU "

approx a 500 watter ! He Finally gets there :)

ct1615 you REALLY should learn to read and Comprehend what people are saying b4 launching into Flaming them :(

On topic:

This thread has a new helpful suggestions

They talk of a PSU in the region of a 500 - 650 watt PSU (650 a little excessive maybe pending a little more info you live's setup)

of such Brand names as:

Antec
Corsair
PC Power & Cooling
Seasonic

Well, on that note, good luck building your rig up to the beast it should be and I will leave you to the helpful advice of some of us here who are I am sure a little more prone to intelligent responses than unfounded, confused flaming ^^

Kari

Splendid

i smell a troll, you are just insulting him for no good reason.... so TITS OR GTFO

anyhoo
on topic
Like coozie7 said, the recommended psus are greatly overestimated, if a manuf sais you'll need a 450W psu to run a card that actually draws 50W they are just afraid of poor quality psus and stupid ppl sueing them...
Take a look here for some hard facts on gpu power usage: http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354&p=0

G

ct1615...

I HAVE A STRONG FEELING THAT YOU'RE A 12 YEAR OLD KID. SO TITS OR GTFO.

*EDIT*
OK, MAYBE 13 YEAR OLD NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.