Cannot change voltage on MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr

triindiglo

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Hi, I have been unable to unlock the voltage control for my MSI GTX 560 Ti and don't really know what else to try.

Using the latest version of Afterburner, tried reinstalling it, I have edited the config file to allow unofficial overclocking.

The voltage bar can be "adjusted" but whenever I click apply it immediately resets to the default.

Thanks for any help!

Intel i5-2500k
Gigabyte GA-P67x-UD3-B3
MSI GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr II
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB 1333
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Many people have been having this problem; it turns out that your drivers are too new. Roll them back to something before 270.xx and you should be good. I'm assuming here, since for me it greyed out the voltage bar when I got the latest drivers, but in any event, I couldn't overvolt anymore.

triindiglo

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Nope, just tried rolling back to pre 270, same problem.

Also tried reinstalling Afterburner to an earlier version (2.1 from 2.2 beta 3) to no avail.

I really hope my card isn't faulty, are there any good tests I can do to check for this? What benchmark test should it do ok on?

triindiglo

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Well, the problem just got a lot worse apparently.

I was going to start a benchmark run of 3dmark11 (free version) just to see what would happen/check for artifacts/etc.

Well, once I clicked start my monitor turned off. At first I thought the test for some reason did this, but the monitor did not come back on. Restarted the system, and nothing showed up, no POST.

The computer seems to be operating OK otherwise, but obviously I can't really tell. The first time I was able to shut down the computer with the keyboard, so Windows was still running and responding.

I can try a different video card tomorrow probably, but I am assuming the most likely explanation here is that my card just fried itself? I hope not...