Movie/Light Gaming PC MOBO advice

JRoq1984

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I have an MSI 7260 k9n neo motherboard in my computer and the indications from tech friends is the motherboard needs to be replaced.

I had no problems with the old motherboard but since I'm getting a new motherboard I want a few more things.

My cpu is an AMD 2+ Athlon 64, memory is ddr 2.

What i'm looking for specifically is at least 2 pci express x1 ports, at least 1 pci express x16 port and at least 6 usb ports (past issues with running out of ports). Obviously want ddr 2 support, and I will probably be upgrading to windows 7 at some point in the near future.

I hoping not to go over $100, but given that i'm being picky i know i may have to go up to $150... only if necessary. (Newegg has some good prices so i'm not too worried)

I plan to be using the computer for light gaming (RTS's and RTS based sim games, specifically simcity 4 deluxe). I have a pci express video card (geforce 6600gt 128mb pci-e), It's all i need for the time being. I also plan to watch hd quality movies.

Any input/ideas/suggests would be appreciated.

aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
since you aren't going to game heavily on it, this is my suggestion.. (cannot run sli on this board.. nor crossfire for that matter..)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131381

It runs a amd 770 northbridge which isnt the latest but should be fine.. has plenty of usb ports and sata ports.. newegg has it at 70ar

mind you, this is not the latest hardware but is not too ancient..

if you wanted to upgrade your cpu, you could get this combo for still less than what you would have paid for a more expensive motherboard at $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.303797

JRoq1984

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Gotcha... thank you for the advice. I've also been reading about this USB 3.0 that could be coming out in the next couple years, would an adapter for usb 3.0 require a pci port or an express port?

The reason I was hoping to find a mobo with at least 2 pci-e x1 ports was because of the ability to install both a pci-e tv tuner and usb 3.0 because i don't know how a usb expansion port 3.0 would attach to the mobo... Unless there is a way to split 1 pci-e x1 port onto 2, or turn a pci port into a pci-e port.

Thanks again

"You can never be too rich, too stupid, or too well armed!"