alicks

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
My 2 year old system went belly-up the other night. Opened the case, power going to the case fans but not getting through the mobo to the CPU cooler. So I bought an ASUS P5Q to replace my old board.

ASUS P5Q Pro (new)
C2D E6750 (original part)
2x1gb Crucial DDR2 800, supposedly compatible according to ASUS (original part)
OCZ 500w PS (original part)

Good news is, the CPU cooler gets power off the board again. And out of the case, the mobo will POST a ram missing error with ONLY the CPU/cooler and PS connected.

(Am I figuring correctly that any POST means the CPU is still good?)

Add even one stick of RAM to the above and I get nothing. No life, no POST. Tried switching out sticks in case one was bad. Still nothing.

Read another forum thread where someone was having the same error at the same step with a new ASUS board, turned out it was defective and had to be RMAd. Any chance I'm looking at the same problem, or is it possible that whatever nailed my mobo took out my RAM as well?

ati7

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I got a ASUS motherboard in the past when we only had AGP slots to plug in are video cards with, and that ASUS board only lasted me 8 month before it died. so in 2004 I upgraded my P4 build with a "Soyo Dragon Lite" Motherboard (AGP slot) and is still running to this day.
but now I might be selling my old PC parts this summer since I'm going to be upgrading with the new AM3 platform for gaming.

shubham1401

Distinguished
Borrow a ram chip from your friend or relative for a while and test whether it runs on your mobo.......
if it runs then u might have to buy new ram chips or otherwise the board is faulty.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
It is quite possible that whatever took out your old board killed your RAM as well. You could either borrow some from someone or run to the closest computer store and buy some to test the board out and then return it (kind of a crappy thing to do but if you have no other options).

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
It is quite possible that whatever took out your old board killed your RAM as well. You could either borrow some from someone or run to the closest computer store and buy some to test the board out and then return it (kind of a crappy thing to do but if you have no other options).

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

TRENDING THREADS