bodgeup

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I need some help, I have got a Samsung LCD TV which is 200hz. Does that mean the PC's HDMI out should be able to display at that refresh rate??

I connected my HTPC to the TV via HDMI and it picked it up at 1080p, but at 60hz. Can i raise this higher?? 60hz is the highest in NVIDIA CP.

I read on the net differnt posts which are similar to this subject and they say that 60hz is highest it will go from the Graphics card. Is that correct??

I have a nvidia 9300 tyied to a 9400 using hybrid sli and use HDMI from this to TV. What I need to know are there cards which display higher refresh rates?? Is 60hz the highest i can use?

Thanks

JK

bodgeup

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Thanks for that, 1 question?? Is HDMI classed the same as DVI??? The reason i ask is on P8 of that site they talk about DVI and it says DVI cant

"allow higher than 60Hz refresh rate at full 24bpp Color Depth for all resolutions"

Or do you know where i can find out about the limitations of HDMI?? whats the highest refresh rate capable at 24bpp colour?

Thanks again

JK

Although both HDMI and DVI are capable of transmitting signals above 60Hz, they are bandwidth limited. 1920x1200 120Hz is the max for dual-link DVI for example. At lower resolutions, you can get to higher refresh rates. Of course, the TV would have to accept a 200Hz input in order for this to work - most advertised TVs that are >60Hz cannot actually accept an input of higher than 60Hz, they just interpolate the intermediate frames to get to 200Hz.

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I hope I may be excused for asking a question in a thread created by someone else, for it relates to the discussion here and I judged it better to ask here rather than create a distinct thread.

Anyways, I have a 24" monitor connected to a 8500gt by a DVI-I cable. The recommended settings are 1920x1200/60Hz as is typical, but I can only select 59Hz from the Nvidia control panel. Is this a bandwidth limitation? Would 60Hz be supported by a DisplayPort input? Can this irregularity make any noticeable impact on smoothness, especially in a 3d game with V-Sync enabled?

I am running Windows 7 RC Build 7100, if that bears on this question.

@ bodgeup,
Either go to a dedicated shop and tell what you are after or check on the Internet, I know there are HDMI cables rated at both 60Hz and 120Hz, i have seen adverts for cables that support 200Hz sets but supporting and actually supplying 200Hz is a different thing all together ;)

Mactronix

bodgeup

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Thanks for the info.

The TV i am trying this with is a Samsung 8 series 40" LED TV 200hz.

Dont suppose anyone knows if this TV can support over 60hz in via HDMI/DVI??

Also if it did support higher values would the Graphics card sutomaticaly detect the available refresh rates or would it be down to the graphics cards specs??

ie. will a low end Nvidia 9400 be able to run over 60hz 1920x1080? The specs for graphics cards dont really say the just say it supports 1080p HDTV thats it.

Thanks

Bodgeup