Brand new i7 system SLOW

john_smarty

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
i just have received my new i7 build however, its being a little slow.
i7 920
gtx 285
p6t
6gb ram
1 tb wd

loading times on this system are horrible. would it be my setup or the 1tb hd. i might be missing something i shoulve set in the bios its set to AHCI

ati7

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
you would think for the price of a i7 it shouldn't be slow. are your ram sticks in the right dimm slots for triple channel?

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Just need it tweaked and setup right, have to know whats slow and what is normal for your parts, be more specific, whats slow exactly? time frames etc

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

--EDIT-- Forgot to add, be sure to set the drive mode to AHCI, as some motherboards default that setting to IDE (which therefor caps the data speed to the IDE standard).

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
there's alot of tweaks you can do to speed it up, pm me ill write em out for you, makes huge difference, what OS also?

describe "slow", do you mean things take a long time to start up, things dont work as fast as you think they should once they have started, games running slow?

Which 1TB western digital hard drive did you get? If its a caviar SE or blue instead of a black that would slow your loading times a bit.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
What are you trying to load? How long does it take?

Slow for one person is fast for another, try to put things into perspective.

For example:
Person 1: A Corvette is slow.
Person 2: A Corvette is fast.
Me: For that money you can start looking at Nissan Skylines.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
You running Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2, or the original? Cuz Vista sucked out of the box. Grab Windows 7, Its quick. And since youve got Vista, ppl are speculating that you'll get a discount on Windows 7 when its finally released. I grabbed a free copy of Vista from a friend who wasnt using it for that reason.