Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Failure to boot

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 16, 2009 4:06:17 AM

My computer refuses to boot. When I turn it on, the lights and fans start up but no signal is sent to the monitor. Keyboards and USB mouse also doesn't work as there is apparently no power going to there. No POST beep is also heard. This happened suddenly when I switched my slightly overclocked CPU which was running fine for more than a year to it's default values in the BIOS. when I saved and exit. This problem appeared. Tried resetting the BIOS using the jumper but it didn't work. What suggestions do you guys have to pinpoint the problem? I think the root lies with either the motherboard or the processsor. Oh. Even though the keyboard and mouse doesn't work, the plugged in RJ45 cable still emits out light for some reason:/

AMD 64X2 4400+ @ 2.3Ghz
2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-5300
ASUS 8600GT
MSI K9N-NEO-F V2 AM2
ACBEL E2 470W PSU

More about : failure boot

September 16, 2009 6:23:42 AM

Hmmm,one minute your system is working,slightly o'clocked and the next after using the bios jumper ,no go...
Did you make sure that you put the jumper back where it should be ??,either on 1-2 or 2-3,check your manual,I know that on my Asus the default was 1-2 for normal and , 2-3 for resetting bios..????.....:) 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2009 3:26:47 PM

try disconnecting the fans and CD/DVD drives from the power supply. If this system boots then its more than liekly the PSU
m
l

Best solution

September 16, 2009 3:54:05 PM

I just had this problem on another system and it turned out that the reset procedure for BIOS was a little different than I had assumed. Verify the bios reset procedure and jumper position. I was using the wrong jumper and when I switched to the correct jumper, I did not leave it in the reset position long enough. Th old way of resetting bios was to disconnect the battery overnight. Try battery removal if the jumper reset does not pan out. Your symptoms are classic for wrong clock setting. I had another pc that produced this symptom when all memory was removed. What else did you when you reset the bios? Disconnecting the cpu fan as the above post suggests will overheat the cpu chip. Be careful. You have no way of knowing if you successfully reset bios when you used the jumper. Also, think back to when you originally overclocked. Was it merely a setup change or were there jumpers involved on the motherboard.
Did you move jumpers to find the bios reset jumper. If so, verify all jumper settings.
Do not assume that changing the bios setting was the only thing that got changed- re-think what you did at that time.
Good luck, Tom James
September 16, 2009 7:23:27 PM

thanks for the advice tjames122. Well, I really did only overclock it in the setup and only values were changed. No jumpers were touched. All was working well until i reverted it back to the default values in the CPU screen. So, only the FSB and multiplier is reset to default.

You just gave me some hope too. I was already planning changing my motherboard and processor :(  Anyway, how do u remove the battery? there's not enough space for my finger to pull it out nor is there any mechanism.
m
l
September 17, 2009 9:10:34 PM

juppy said:
thanks for the advice tjames122. Well, I really did only overclock it in the setup and only values were changed. No jumpers were touched. All was working well until i reverted it back to the default values in the CPU screen. So, only the FSB and multiplier is reset to default.

You just gave me some hope too. I was already planning changing my motherboard and processor :(  Anyway, how do u remove the battery? there's not enough space for my finger to pull it out nor is there any mechanism.

Try to insert some plastic object to take it off.
If you use metal you might short something.
m
l
September 18, 2009 1:05:21 PM

I cant take it out. Its so weird. Its parallel against the board and its barricaded by its plastic cover and at its side is one small plastic thingy that does not do anything.
m
l
September 18, 2009 1:12:42 PM

juppy said:
I cant take it out. Its so weird. Its parallel against the board and its barricaded by its plastic cover and at its side is one small plastic thingy that does not do anything.

If you have the manual for your motherboard there's another way.

Close to the battery some motherboards have a 3 pin conector with a jumper on 2 of the pins.

Find in your motherboard manual something that says CMOS reset or something like that.
When you move that jumper to the position that your manual says that it's for resetting the CMOS, that will do the same action as taking out the battery.

Read thoroughly your manual before changing any jumpers.

If you are in doubt ask again once you read the manual.

Good luck
m
l
September 18, 2009 1:15:58 PM

I already tried that but to be sure that the BIOS is really reset, I want to take out the battery. The thing is, the manual doesnt say anything about it. Only the jumper thing
m
l
September 18, 2009 1:19:13 PM

If you followed the instructions correctly the jumper should reset the BIOS.

It's doing electrically what taking the battery out would do.

Do you still have your problem after resetting it with the jumper?
m
l
September 18, 2009 7:08:12 PM

yup...
m
l
September 20, 2009 2:52:23 PM

Any more ideas anybody? I already read the sticky =(
m
l
!