Overclocking Sapphire HD 5770 with Stock fan

intelatifan

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hi Guys,

Can u pls help me with your opinion about over-clocking My HD 5770 With Stock Fan.

At present, In my case after playing latest games for 1 hour or so average temps of HD 5770 goes upto 65-68 (Celcius) and stays constant and core i3(sandy bridge) temps reach abt 68 degrees Celsius ( which I think this is on higher side compared to normal :( ). My room is small and not so airy and ambient temps are abt 32-34 degree celcius.

So pls tel me if i can overclock my graphic card or i shouldn't do it?

I have set 3 regular size airflow fans inside my pc cabinet. (two for exhaust + one for intake of airflow)

thanks in advance....

happy gaming ;)

Solution
Run MSI Afterburner and set up a custom fan profile. You'll have to deal with more noise, but it'll let you overclock. I think when I was using my stock 5850 (reference design) cooling I had it set to max out at around 80% fan speed at 80C, which was super loud but it rarely got that hot. Although I don't use such aggressive OCs much besides benchmarking.

Anyway, it does sound like your case airflow isn't optimal. You have a negative pressure case (more air going out than in) which means your exhaust fans are working extra hard and also that air is going to be sucked in through every possible opening, which will cause a lot of dust to get in. You might want to try 2 intake, 1 exhaust and see if it helps. For reference, which case do...
Run MSI Afterburner and set up a custom fan profile. You'll have to deal with more noise, but it'll let you overclock. I think when I was using my stock 5850 (reference design) cooling I had it set to max out at around 80% fan speed at 80C, which was super loud but it rarely got that hot. Although I don't use such aggressive OCs much besides benchmarking.

Anyway, it does sound like your case airflow isn't optimal. You have a negative pressure case (more air going out than in) which means your exhaust fans are working extra hard and also that air is going to be sucked in through every possible opening, which will cause a lot of dust to get in. You might want to try 2 intake, 1 exhaust and see if it helps. For reference, which case do you have?

Solution

intelatifan

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

intelatifan

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

As per your suggestion, now i am using side fan as air intake, i hope it works for me, i will definitely let u know if i can see some temps decrease...

thanks again..

Bye and Take care ;)