Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which of these effects frame rates more?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 27, 2011 9:17:08 AM

I was wondering which one of those effect frame rates more?

GPU Memory Clock

or

GPU Clock

More about : effects frame rates

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2011 9:40:52 AM

The GPU itself does all the work, so the GPU core/shader clocks do more for performance.
May 27, 2011 10:46:33 AM

Best answer selected by Krimzon6.
m
l
Related resources
May 27, 2011 10:46:48 AM

Thanks, best answer chosen!
m
l
a c 540 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2011 9:51:34 PM

krimzon6 said:
I was wondering which one of those effect frame rates more?

GPU Memory Clock

or

GPU Clock

It depends very much on where the bottleneck is.

If the graphics card is memory bandwidth constrained then an increase in graphics memory clock speed could result in a noticeable frame rate increase whereas increasing the GPU speed results in very little or no increase in frame rate because there is not enough graphics memory bandwidth to keep the GPU fed.

If the graphics card is GPU constrained then increasing the GPU clock speed will result in a noticeable frame rate increase. Increasing the graphics memory clock in this scenario results in very little or increase in frame rate.
m
l
May 28, 2011 1:22:05 AM

ko888 said:
It depends very much on where the bottleneck is.

If the graphics card is memory bandwidth constrained then an increase in graphics memory clock speed could result in a noticeable frame rate increase whereas increasing the GPU speed results in very little or no increase in frame rate because there is not enough graphics memory bandwidth to keep the GPU fed.

If the graphics card is GPU constrained then increasing the GPU clock speed will result in a noticeable frame rate increase. Increasing the graphics memory clock in this scenario results in very little or increase in frame rate.

How do I figure out where my bottleneck is
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
May 28, 2011 2:07:49 AM

You figure it out by doing some testing. Have a notebook and a graphics benchmark program or two handy.

1. Overclock the GPU core by something like 25MHz.
2. Test with benchmark programs. Write down the results.
3. Reset GPU core to default. Overclock graphics memory by 100MHz.
4. Test with benchmark programs. Write down the results.
5. Compare benchmark results to see which gives more benefit.

Unless you have a low-level graphics card with very limited memory bandwidth, you will likely see more improvement with increased GPU core/shader clocks. However, in most cases best results are actually achieved by increasing both GPU core/shader and graphics memory clocks.
m
l
May 28, 2011 2:50:00 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
You figure it out by doing some testing. Have a notebook and a graphics benchmark program or two handy.

1. Overclock the GPU core by something like 25MHz.
2. Test with benchmark programs. Write down the results.
3. Reset GPU core to default. Overclock graphics memory by 100MHz.
4. Test with benchmark programs. Write down the results.
5. Compare benchmark results to see which gives more benefit.

Unless you have a low-level graphics card with very limited memory bandwidth, you will likely see more improvement with increased GPU core/shader clocks. However, in most cases best results are actually achieved by increasing both GPU core/shader and graphics memory clocks.

So test overclock the memory and gpu clock speeds. Im only asking cuz im a noob and I like hearing exact names for things until I know what they mean or what everyone else calls it. Good answer and thank you.
m
l
!