Back to Square One FFS (HD4870)

krimzon6

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Hi,

If you've seen my threads, you'd know I was rather successful at OC'ing my HD4870 gigabyte 1GB DDR5 to 790/1100 and thats it, I fired up GTA and it was A-OK.

However now, I hear light squealing from the GPU and when the game locks up to crash, the squealing stops and it goes "GTA IV has stopped working, you can check for a solution online, which doesn't do much" blah blah blah. After that I downed it to 770/1000 and it still failed, 750/900 (stock) still failed.

I have a gigabyte hd4870 that squeals when playing a game, but on GTA IV it squeals and crashes (crashing stops squealing)

Is there an issue i need to be correcting? is it bottlenecking or whatever? do I need to RMA it?

thanks

Australian too.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
As I have not read your other threads.....do you have anything else over clocked in your rig? put specs up we can help you better....if it is a high pitch "squealing" and the cards new the fan is unbalanced...if the card is older try to clean the fan and heat sink with a small tooth brush.....when it crashes does it just freeze or do you get a bsod?