Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 only detects 1 of 2 HDDs

Last response: in Storage
February 24, 2011 10:11:28 PM

I just put together and booted my new build (successfully :D ). After installing Windows 7 (64 bit), and installing all the drivers / anti virus I need. I noticed only 1 HDD was detected after installation.

I have a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500Gb (boot) and a F3 1Tb (storage), both 7200rpm SATA HDDs. In Windows 7, the HDD doesn't show up in the Computer devices, BUT it shows up in BIOS and also showed up during the Windows 7 installation (as a device to install W7 to).

My motherboard is an Asrock P55 Pro / USB3 with AMI bios.

Can anyone help?

More about : windows detects hdds

a b G Storage
February 24, 2011 11:45:05 PM

Hey Ge8ff,

Check to see if you need to initialize the 1TB F3 on your disk management. If that doesn't seem to fix the problem, check your cable connection and or with an another computer/external enclosure.

Hope this helps with your question!
m
l
February 24, 2011 11:49:18 PM

Initialize as in partition? I'm going to try partitioning the whole 2nd drive tomorrow, once I move it into my room. I've read that W7 won't read unallocated space, only partitions.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 25, 2011 12:04:39 AM

that would be why its not showing up in computer..
you have to initialize (partiton and format)

before it will show up there.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 25, 2011 12:07:46 AM

Hey Ge8ff,

Yes. Normally when the drives are new, they are unpartitioned and seen as unallocated space. I am not sure where you found that information from; Windows 7 should be able to read hard drives fine. Both drives I take it are presumably new so they should be unallocated. The Windows installer had read the drives correctly and installed your OS to your 500GB drive.

Hope this makes sense, please let me know if you are confused on anything!
m
l
!