Sign in with
Your question

Wireless transfers and obstruktions

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 30, 2004 6:35:10 PM

I'm thinking about going wireless soon so I have a few questions. The thing is that the wireless network I'm establishing has to cover two rooms with a bathroom in between, I can imagine that'd be a problem, it won't have to cover more than a radius of about 5-10 meters, but as said, one of the ways it's through two walls. So I'm wondering how well that will work?
My chief concerns are whether to prioritise g-compatibility, the network is to be used almost solely for internet, so transfer rates aren't an issue unless below 1 mbit, but what about stability and latencies, will a g-standard network help that?
The reason why I’m asking is that my farther is getting a IBM T30 laptop with a/b standards wireless, which is the reason why I’m establishing wireless in the first place, the thing I need to know is whether to try to get it g-compatible or not – I believe it’s a question of changing a mini-pci-card, right?
May 31, 2004 4:00:46 PM

i run my PC on a wireless G system.

it's going through 2 or 3 walls (it's hard to tell!) and i'm one storey above the access point. directly i'm about 10metres from the access point. Things that are bad news for wireless networks are radiators on internal walls and fridges/freezers....I think baths are ok :) 

my real life transfer rates between the access point and this PC are about 10Mbit using a "pure" 802.1g system (all cards are g) - you'll never get anything like 54Mbit in real life. but as you pointed out, your internet connection is around 1Mbit, so that's no problem.

latencies are very low, i can ping the access point at under 1ms...internet web and gaming servers ping back at around 20-30ms, which is great. foreign servers are slower obviously as there is more distance involved.

for usual gaming and web browsing i think "b" standard is fine.

remember if you buy a "g" device it will be compatible with "b" devices, such as your dad's laptop. SO if you can afford the additional expense (which shouldn't be a huge amount anymore) then get a "g" access point.
!