Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P55-UD4P -- New F5 BIOS Produces Strange Results

Last response: in Motherboards
December 6, 2009 4:14:16 PM

I updated my P55-UD4P MB with the F5 BIOS and experienced some unusual changes. First, there was an abnormally long delay after POST to the time when the Setup screen appeared. (15 - 20 seconds with the cursor blinking on a black screen.) Secondly, it changed the default CPU multiplier to 15. This was enough for me so I went back to the F4 version and everything is normal. It thought possibly the file was corrrupted, so I downloaded and flashed a second time but the results remained the same.

Has anyone else experienced similar results or anything else unusual with this F5 BIOS? It is now the only version available on Gigabyte"s website.

GA-P55-UD4P
i7 860
OCZ Gold 1600LV (running @ 1333 7-7-7-19)
eVGA Akimbo 8800GT (650 ver)

Best solution

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2009 2:59:46 AM

I'm having similiar problems. The delay post only happened once (I'm not getting it anymore). I updated from F3 to F5 and ran into the multiplier problem (15). I decided to try F4 and the problem is still there (sometimes the multiplier is 9 instead of 15).
December 7, 2009 4:29:56 AM

i too was affected but u can manually set the multiplier in the bios . i did so on my ud2 . also , the delayed post was only for the first time .
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2009 8:16:23 PM

I'm using the F4 Bios. Since the F5 didn't have any updates in it that I needed I disregarded it entirely.

Flash back to the F4 and try that out. Runs perfect for me. :) 

EDIT: BTW, I should note. Using F3 (stock) and F4 I did notice the Multiplier wasn't always the same after rebooting (while at stock settings). However my clock speeds were usually within Intel spec (close to 2.66Ghz). Since OverClocking and setting things manually, it stays where I want it to be. I guess the Multiplier changing wasn't just all in my head. :) 

Set your multiplier manually and you should be fine.
m
l
December 7, 2009 10:49:30 PM

Thanks for responding.

It appears the BIOS writers introduced some new issues when they coded their updates. F4 works well for me, but I never know what a newer version will do until I try it - especially with a recently introduced board. The BIOS update descriptions are always five words or less and seldom informs one of what really is diferrent.

Johndoe2010,

If you are seeing a multiplier of 9 when running CPUID, or something similar, it is normal. This is the one of the power savings features of the CPU/Windows. They will reduce the multiplier to 9 at idle. If you see this in the BIOS, however, then you do have a problem with the BIOS.
m
l
December 7, 2009 10:55:36 PM

I tried to mark all three reponses as answers but I just discovered the system allows only one answer.
m
l
December 12, 2009 6:37:12 PM

Yep, one Best Answer. And you can't change it later. :) 

Glad to hear the F4 works well for you though. As a general rule, most folks will tell you not to Flash your BIOS unless you either have a problem to begin with, or specifically need a feature which is added by the newer BIOS. Generally, that keeps folks from getting into difficult situations.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
December 13, 2009 3:15:04 PM

Typically, the 'don't flash 'less you need to' is good advice, but with these (obviously 'beta') boards, every (weekly!) BIOS release fixes something, and usually more than one thing... For 1156/1366 platforms, I'd grab up every new release!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 13, 2009 3:20:00 PM

Good to know. My board will probably come with F4, so maybe I'll just leave it there for starters. F5 claims to only add support for C3 stepping, which my chip is not (I think).
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
December 13, 2009 3:27:26 PM

I think their main thrust is memory compatibility; they're finding more and more egregious problems with this, and there is a plethora of widely differing RAM available (ostensibly) for these things - everything from 1066 and 1333 (the only Intel supported speeds, respectively, for the 1366/1156 platforms) to 2133 - gots to be a nightmare for the BIOS guys! :pt1cable: 
m
l
December 13, 2009 7:18:30 PM

bilbat,

I agree with you. I install each new version to see what has changed. I also will try beta versions if I am having issues.

I installed my P55 board (came with F3) at the end of October. Everything worked fine except that Win 7 x64 could not complete the calculation of the Experience Index. One of the F4 beta versions fixed the problem. The settings and descriptions for IDE/AHCI changed as well between F3 and F4. Gigabyte did not mention either of these changes. The only description I recall was "improved OC potential". As I stated in my previous post, GB's descriptions are totally lacking in clarity. I had two ASUS boards before my present board and ASUS' descriptions were just as uninformative. I guess that why I do not pay any attention to the "official" description.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 13, 2009 10:19:16 PM

Yeah, it really is impossible to know. For one of my boards I found a forum where a guy tested each BIOS, said what it fixed, broke, etc. That was really helpful, but I don't see things like that often.
m
l
!