I5 - 2500K Overclocking

aznkorboi

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hello! Can someone tell me why my computer is doing what it's doing?

Currently I'm running 2500k, 12gb ram, 650w psw, ati radeon 6870, asus p8p67 deluxe mobo,

4.8Ghz Settings - 1.000v idle/ 1.344 - 1.368v Max Load

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
BLCK Freq: 100.00
Turbo Ratio: Enabled (All Cores)
By All Cores: 48
Internal PLL OverVoltage: Enabled
Mem Freq: (AS PER YOUR RAM)
EPU Power Saving: Disabled

Load-Line Calibration: High
VRM Freq: Manual Set to 350
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Contorl: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 100%
CPU OverVoltage: Offset Mode
CPU Offset: + 0.060 (This may be too low for some people, so either up this to 0.090 or add 0.030 to the Additional Turbo Voltage setting)
DRAM Voltage: (AS PER YOUR RAM)
VCCSA Voltage: Auto
VCCIO Voltage: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Ratio: Auto
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Intel Virtualization: Disabled
Intel SpeedStep: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
CPU C1E, C3, C6: Enabled

For some reason, whenever I up the 48 to 50, at the "starting windows" window, it stays there and loads forever. Also I noticed my keyboard and external HD shut off during this time.

BTW, I also tried upping the cpu voltage to 1.5 and it still did nothing.

Could someone explain to me why and how I can fix this?

All Sandy Bridge CPUs have a "multiplier wall," a multiplier that they cannot go past no matter how much voltage you feed them. You have likely reached that limit. When I go above mine (4.8GHz is max stable speed for me, it will boot into Windows up to 5.1GHz but freeze soon after), it doesn't even get to the Windows loading screen -- it goes to a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

If you've read the Official ASUS P8P67 Series Overclocking Guide and Information then you already know that only about 10% of Sandy Bridge CPUs can get to 4.8GHz. Be happy with your nice overclock! To get more speed, you could always try overclocking the BCLK as well.

aznkorboi

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Believe me. If I could go back in time, I'd be super happy with that. But first, I need to fix the problem I have now. I removed my heatsink and didn't see any burns or marks. Currently I removed everything from my motherboard.

How do I go back to the original settings? The CMOS and removing stuff doesnt work :(

I'm assuming you read my post in your other thread and took a few hours to let the system reset itself. If it was me, I'd let the system sit totally apart overnight. If that doesn't do it, then it's time to RMA. In this case, I'd recommend RMA for both the mainboard and CPU.