Need Help from OC expert(blown my last mobo)

I've got this setup:

-Artic Cooler 7 HSF
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
-MSI 870A G54
-G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V
-XFX Radeon 5770

I've already blown the motherboard by putting the voltage to high (don't remember how high) So i bought the same mobo again and want to try OC safely.

So what should I try with the settings? What kind of temps should I watch out for? Should I OC through the bios or use the MSI OC utility?

If anyone has a similar or the same setup I'd really appreciate help.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about need expert blown mobo
  1. Lot's of OC'ing tutorials out there. And, OC'ing forums.....

But, with a 955 the basics would be:
    - increase the CPU multiplier in the BIOS 0.5 at a time
    - run Prime95 & FurMark at each new step
    - keep CPU temp under 70C
    - keep GPU temp under 90C (I believe the card with throttle clock speed too...)
    - you'll be able to run between 3.4Ghz and 3.6Ghz on stock voltages
    - once you crash, bump the voltage up on notch and try the same clock multiplier again
    - somewhere between 3.8Ghz and 4Ghz you'll notice you need several steps of voltage increase to get the next 0.5 multiplier to work
    -QUIT at this point
    - your not going to gain much more, just wild increases in power draw, crazy temps, and maybe even some smoke/flames....
  2. jb6684 said:
    Lot's of OC'ing tutorials out there. And, OC'ing forums.....

But, with a 955 the basics would be:
    - increase the CPU multiplier in the BIOS 0.5 at a time
    - run Prime95 & FurMark at each new step
    - keep CPU temp under 70C
    - keep GPU temp under 90C (I believe the card with throttle clock speed too...)
    - you'll be able to run between 3.4Ghz and 3.6Ghz on stock voltages
    - once you crash, bump the voltage up on notch and try the same clock multiplier again
    - somewhere between 3.8Ghz and 4Ghz you'll notice you need several steps of voltage increase to get the next 0.5 multiplier to work
    -QUIT at this point
    - your not going to gain much more, just wild increases in power draw, crazy temps, and maybe even some smoke/flames....

Thats the way to do it +1 for jb6684....man thats the second one you beat me to today so far....But GOOD SAFE advice!!!
  3. we've clearly got some experienced overclockers here. We are humbled by their vast experience. Don't forget to choose a best answer if your question has been answered.

*Edit: I just realized this is an ancient thread. Nevermind me. My fault for aimlessly roaming the forums.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking