CPU Choice = PITA =\

darkfa8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I've posted inquiries across the forum to try and get a grip on which direction to go in from my occasional-BSOD OC'ed P4 2.4 (OC to 3ghz) rig.

So far I've collected 2 components for my build:
Rosewill MicroATX mid-tower case $27 shipped on Ebay
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 $20 shipped - used on Ebay

What I do on my computer:
- WinXP Pro Ver. 2002 SP3
- run my screen res at 1280x1024 on a 19" Hyundai B90A LCD
- Photo corrections and web ad design in Photoshop CS4
- surf the web
- run RealFlight G4.5 flight simulator
- some video editing with Windows Movie Maker and Premier CS4
- occassionally mess with Gears of War, but my current rig certainly seems a bit stressed at higher resolutions (> 1152x864)

My existing rig has held up for the last seven years through various upgrades: RAM, GPU, PSU, HD, DVDRW

As a result, the new system has to have as much upgrade path as currently available, but of course for the least amount of money - always the catch ;)

On some members' recommendations I've been considering:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 545 or 550

BUT...

I've been reading reports on Athlon X2 250 and Intel E5200 CPUs that apparently can keep pace with some of the higher end CPUs.

I'm really starting to wonder whether or not it's worth OC a cheaper CPU to compete with a higher-line CPU if longevity may be compromised?

Ultimately, I'm now torn, again on whether to go Intel or AMD and if so, which CPU is really the best long-term bang for the buck?

Solution
Also, if your looking to get 5+ years out of this rig like the last one, you'll want to spend the extra coin on a quad. The reveiws of the new AthlonII X4 look very promising and can be had for just $100.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Generaly speaking, if you go with a lower-end CPU, a CPU upgrade is counted on as part of your upgrade cycle.

So for instance if you decided to go with an Athlon X2 250, in a year or two, you would probably want to drop in a PhenomII X4. On the other hand, if you buy and OC the Phenom now, you pay a bit more, but less work/upgrade later.

I think you'll find most decent modern CPUs to be a significant step up from your P4. You should consider not OC'ing right away, but rather just enjoying the superior performance you're going to experience even at stock speeds. You can hold OC'ing in reserve as a future "upgrade" to prolong the life of your system.

darkfa8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
my PC just had a post problem.. i think the memory is starting to crap out :(

So, I cracked open my case, unplugged and started to clean out dust (wasn't a lot since I clean it every so often)... but anyway, I was looking at my RAM and re-discovered I'm only running with 1GB! For some reason I thought I had 4GB, apparently NOT!

Either way, got the machine running again and ran CPU-ID and found that while my RAM is labeled identically (Corsair CMX-512-4400C25PT, XMS4400 512mb 550MHz 2.5-4-4-8 per stick), that in CPU-ID one stick shows up as the correct model (2.5-4-4-8) and the other shows up as a CMX512-3200XL (2-2-2-5)... and I don't understand why =\ I bought them from the same vendor (ZZF), but some time apart.

Wonder if this is causing my occasional BSOD?

Either way, I realize anything I buy today CPU-wise is going to be better performing than my current system, I just wondered by how much and whether or not going from something Athlon X2 250 to Phenom II X2 545 or 550 is worth the ~$30 difference, or going for the Intel i5.

Regarding the RAM again, the next system I have will have at least 4GB of RAM.... geezz, i totally forgot I've been running only 1GB this whole time, damn, that's lame lol though I'm surprised since all the stuff I do has been just barely getting by on it....

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Also, if your looking to get 5+ years out of this rig like the last one, you'll want to spend the extra coin on a quad. The reveiws of the new AthlonII X4 look very promising and can be had for just $100.

Solution