i7 - 870 @ 2,93GHZ
Noctua NH-D14
4Gb DDR3 Kingston HyperX
Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum
Asus P7P55D-E PRO
Corsair TX 750W
HAF 922 case
1TB Seagate HDD

I was thinking to buy this OCZ SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227604) ... mainly due to price vs speed vs capacity, but mostly due to price :p

My question for you is ... will this SSD be a BIG improvement to my rig (since I use only the seagate hdd) , related to gaming ... or more like a SMALL 5%-10% increase in overall performance ? (meaning I don't want my HDD to drag my rig's overall performance) - suggestions related to a similar product in the same price range are welcomed... provided that SSD is a big improvement :p

Thank you !

Solution
That depends on what you are hoping to improve. You said "related to gaming," and for the most part you will see NO DIFFERENCE in games; none at all in FPS, but potentially some in level load times.
For general responsiveness however, for example related to program load times and file load and save times, the difference will be phenomenal. I will no longer build a rig for myself without a SSD for those reasons.
That depends on what you are hoping to improve. You said "related to gaming," and for the most part you will see NO DIFFERENCE in games; none at all in FPS, but potentially some in level load times.
For general responsiveness however, for example related to program load times and file load and save times, the difference will be phenomenal. I will no longer build a rig for myself without a SSD for those reasons.

Solution

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
You have a nice rig. You care enough to research good hardware and it matters to you. Buy an ssd.

You could be gaming on a sempron at 1680x1050 and have great FPS etc. But you're not. So why hold yourself back with the standard spinning disk.

A velociraptor would probably increase your boot time and load times noticeably. An ssd will make the raptor look slow. Everything on your desktop is right now. Click.. done. The slowest thing is the time it takes you to double click.

Now the question is.. which ssd. You chose a good one. The next generation is slowly coming on line (actually in the next couple of weeks stores will have the latest and greatest in stock).

Also, 25nm Nand should be on the doorstep and with it the price per GB of storage should start going in the right direction... DOWN. So hold off for a month, pick a day, or pick two or three competing drives, and watch for an easter sale or something on one of those drives. You will NEVER LOOK BACK.

creohan

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Thx for ur feedback :p...

creohan

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Hey and thanks for taking the time to answer ... but will all due respect , the first part of ur post makes little to no sense to me :D . "gaming on a sempron" ... slow time to double click ?! ... ooooook man :D . Not to mention that ur post is kind of opposite to the first person that posted ... and that only adds to my already existing confusion.

I just want to see more opinions of ppl that can say that a SSD will indeed improve my rig's overall performance by a BIG bunch in relations to GAMING ... or that it's a waste of money for this purpose 'cause the improvements towards gaming performance are small ! thx :p

EDIT: ...and Im not reffering to the overall properties of a SSD ... but in conjunction with my rig (if I had a much better rig the decision to buy a SSD would have been clearer :p)

Well then, strictly related to gaming, I'm not sure you'd see a worthwhile difference. For games, you'd probably see a bigger improvement (for not much more money) by getting a second GTX460; your PSU can handle it. What is the resolution of your monitor?

creohan

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Hey and thanks to answering again ... my monitor is Samsung SyncMaster BX2235 with native resolution of 1920x1080. I've taken into calculation the idea of buying an extra gtx460 and going SLi , but I still need about 35$ more to do that (it will be another month till salary day:p), and Im not 100% sure that my psu can hold another video card w/o issues ... since I know that in FULL load my gtx460 eats up 300W and my CPU around 200W , so ... was hoping that this SSD could improve my rig. :p

tecmo34

Administrator
1) Your Corsair 750TX will handle dual GTX 460's without issues.

2) For gaming, a SSD will only help with increased initial load times not FPS. You'll need either better GPU's or CPU's to effect that. So for improvement strickly in gaming, jtt283's recommendation is the way to go!!

creohan

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Hello and thank you for your feedback ! :)

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
There you have it. SSDs clearly have very little impact on gameplay.

SSDs have an impact on your computer's overall useability. Everything happens faster. I was trying to impart the idea that when you click on something that requires access from the ssd it immediately comes up. Whereas, using a spinning disk, you choose a game, or a browser, or Word, click on it... and wait...

I was also trying to impart the fact that your CPU is probably unnecessarily powerful for gaming. Therefore, having an unnecessarily powerful (quick) drive would also be an enthusiast type thing to do.

You keep asking if its worth the money. Most of us say YES. But that decision can only be made by you as it's your money and your set of values. Perhaps the ssd can wait for your next build.

Good Luck with your decision.

creohan

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Thanks for ur answer ... but as I now understand what SSD does in the gaming world is to reduce the load time ... which makes it hardly of any use. And I understand that it's not really a necesity as to is more of that extra 1% which is cool to have but not really useful :p (all in relations to gaming)

Thanks everyone for ur feedback ! :)