HDMI VS DVI & PSU

drvndervish

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Hi,

I am not particularly computer savvy, but I have determined that HP support is beyond useless so I am hoping that someone out there can help me. I want to connect my PC to my HDTV, but I am not a gamer. I have to buy a new graphics card because my current geforce 6150 doesn't support much of anything besides my vga. I need to know if DVI output to HDMI is as good as HDMI to HDMI? I have a pci express x16 expansion slot. Most of the cards I have looked at require more power than the 300W I have. I have been told that it is not a good idea to add a larger PSU to my current system.? My current card won't run simultaneously with a new card, so the new card has to have a vga output as well! I would really appreciate your opinions and/or suggestions to solve my problem.

Thanks

David

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
dvi and hdmi is the same signal but hdmi also audio. Why does the new card have to have a vga output? If your current monitor does not have dvi then the new card will come with a dvi to vga adapter. I definitely recommend a new psu also. 300w is not very much anymore.

You can swap out the PSU for a different one as long as it's the same form factor which is likely ATX.

You should really give a little more detail about your hardware.

I have a Sony HDTV and use the VGA input (3.5mm stereo audio). Pretty much all graphics cards have VGA but usually through the included DVI-I -> VGA adapter.

You have other issues besides video. If you don't have a receiver that uses digital input from our PC you need to have HDMI audio support. I doubt you have that.

I don't know exactly what your needs are though as you didn't say.

There are a lot of devices coming out this fall that are probably better. Among other formats, get one that can playback DVD ISO (images of your DVDs).

Look at the latest MViX and start researching HD Media players. Start with the Western Digital one (okay, but doesn't have full support).

G

ATI 4350 or ATI 4550 Cards both support HDMI / HDCP / HDMI Audio. They have pretty low power requirements and support Dual ouputs so you could attach the monitor via a dvi-vga adapter and the HDTV via a DVI-HDTV adapter simultaneously. ATI recommends a 300W or greater PSU, but that depends a lot on your current hardware setup

drvndervish

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Thanks to everybody, I appreciate stuart's card recomendations and chef is right about my monitor, it has a dvi input that I was unaware of. I am glad I don't have to worry about a new psu, All I want to do is view media from my pc on my hdtv and it supports dlna through my lan so that should take care of the digital receiver problem. The tv has media 2.0 which supports a direct connection to the internet bypassing the pc if I want using internet@tv with yahoo widgets engine. I will let you know how it turns out. I will try tlo pick up one of those cards soon.

Thanks to all who provided input!

Drvndervish

drvndervish

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Thanks to everybody, I appreciate stuart's card recomendations and chef is right about my monitor, it has a dvi input that I was unaware of. I am glad I don't have to worry about a new psu, All I want to do is view media from my pc on my hdtv and it supports dlna through my lan so that should take care of the digital receiver problem. The tv has media 2.0 which supports a direct connection to the internet bypassing the pc if I want using internet@tv with yahoo widgets engine. I will let you know how it turns out. I will try tlo pick up one of those cards soon.

Thanks to all who provided input!

While I am at it I am wondering if any of you have experience with streaming netflix and pandora through a blu-ray? Is there any chance that blu-ray is not the technology of the future?

Drvndervish

drvndervish

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009

If I understand you correctly the dvi output will provide the same quality as hdmi but I will need additional wire connections for the audio?

Thanks for your help

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
If you are hooking it up to surround sound you would need one anyways. Sound on a tv pretty much sucks. Thats where coax or spdif going from your sound card into the surround sound comes into play.