Before I ask the question, these are the parts in my rig:
Case: Cooler Master HAF912 Plus black
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3, P67
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1000GB, SATA II
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K, 4x 3.30GHz
CPU Cooler: ASUS Silent Knight II

RAM: Corsair XMS3 DIMM kit 8GB
PSU: Corsair TX 750 V2 750W ATX 2.2
GPU: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC, 2GB DDR5 (May do crossfire in the future)

Okay so at the moment my CPU is at 3.3ghz and my idle temps are 27 degrees. ran prime95 and all 4 cores goes to at 68 degrees (no more than that).

I wanna overclock my CPU to at least 4.0 ghz and was wondering would it be a good idea based on my current CPU cooler? Will my temps increase?

all help will be much appreciated

Thanks.

pteek

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Your temps are very high IMO.Did you instal the cooler all by yourself?How much thermal paste you applied?Check you case airflow and also check that cooler is tightly attached to the cpu.IMO you TEMPS are HIGH.Check you fan speed to by speedfan (google it).
Edit:You cooler is not sufficient for the 2550k.You can get a CM hyper 212+.It "should" work but search the forum for good cooler for 2550k.

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Thanks for the reply. Umm, i added a pea size of artic silver 5 thermal paste. It was done by myself and the cooler is attached correctly although it could not face sidewards but instead upwards with my top fan as an out take. (the cpu cooluer has an arrow facing towards the fan at the top of my case for out-take).

I've being using speedfan to look at my temps. My fan speeds are:

Speed01: 100%
Speed02: 27%
Speed03: 27%
with 27-33% at idle on all 4 cores.

I wouldnt mind getting a new heat sync to be honest so yeah il search around and thanks for that cooler i'l put some research into it.

Ooo a little extra info: Case has 4 fans:

Front: 200mm for intake
Side: 120mm for intake
Top: 200mm for outtake
back: 120mm for outtake

pteek

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Dont just trust one software.Use 3-4 of them like coretemp,systools,cpucool.With my c2d two of the software shows me 10-12 more than what actual temp is.
Do nice research and get a cooler and then 4 ghz would be easy,may be 4.5!

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

hmm i do like the look of that cooler but the price is a bit steep. I don't earn a lot of money since i work part time and study so can't afford that unfortunatly :(

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Hmm at first I thaught I may have installed it incorrectly but upwards is probably the case. I hav a Fan on top of my case for out-take so I thaught it wouldnt be a huge issue.

I also got a little question:

Would it be better to get the Scythe Mugen 2, the Hyper 212 + or to go water cooling and get the Corsair h50?? (those are the 3 choices I am with atm and I do wana overclock to 4.0 - 4.5ghz and no more than that)

I've seeing reviews for all 3 coolers and they are good but would like a little expert help from you guys :)

A 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Concur with temps being high.

The Top 5 to 10 Air HSFs will beat the H50. I’m using a Zalman 9900Max (I5-2500k). My Idle temps are around 29 C at stock; average of all four cores is 50 C (running prime 95). With OC to 4.2 (Planning on going higher) and again running Prime 95 temps only went up a couple of C. Note: room temp 78->80F I also have a Zalman 9700LED on I5-750 (OC 3.2) pointed up to top fan, it works fine and too lazy to switch.
I have a Themaltake V60 case. I added a 2nd front intake and swapped out the rear (120x120x25) with a higher CFM fan (120x120x38x – 133 cfm) – It’s load but works fine at reduced level. NO side fan.
I'm using HWMonitor for monitoring temps - The program need work to work with ASRock Z68 Extreme4 MB!!! (Core temps are about all that works)
PS - Not a plug for 9900Max, unless on sale it is expensive, got mine for $65 (UK would probably be the same EXCEPT in Pounds). But the links show the top 10 coolers.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2567&page=5
http://www.guru3d.com/article/zalman-cnps-9900-max-review/7

@ jack
Agree with the couple of degrees - But I think Physic is the reason the heat tubes were designed to work in the vertical plane and when in the horizontal plane they are less effective.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I think there's something else going on with your temperatures. 68 at stock voltage/multiplier won't even happen at load with the stock cooling, much less an after-market heat sink and AS5.

#1: Do you have any more AS5? If so, step 2:

#2: See what happens if you take off your heat sink and re-seat it. It's possible that it went on askew or it's not tight enough. I would gamble that you didn't apply AS5 correctly. For my hyper 212+, a pea is not the best way to go -- you want to do two paralell lines to ensure all the entire chip heat spreader is covered.

When you take off your heat sink, check how well the AS5 spread -- does it pretty much cover the entire face of the chip heat spreader or is it heavily centered?

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Thanks for the compliment, chief. You'll beat me to it next time, I'm sure.

I've not had success with the pea method either, with the 212+. With the deep grooves and crowned surface, it doesn't spread out well from the pea method. I usually spread it out on the 212+ surface with a credit card. I don't trust it otherwise.

Myself, I go with the Zalman with the FLAT Cu base.
Have: 9500 on E6400 @3.2; 9700LED on I5-2500 @ 3.2; and 9900Max on I5-2500k (only OCed to 4.2 sofar). All bought on Sale.
The Hyper 212+ is good and better in terms of price/performance.
The 9900Max is better in terms of performance, but even on sale it's like $65 @ Newegg.

I recently upgraded to the Thermalright Silver Arrow. It's working great (pea application worked well on it).

LLoydizle

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I'm out of AS5 but i ordered more so once i receive that, I'l let u know what it looks like on the CPU and cooler :)

I should state that even though I added a pea size, I did spread it out with a credit card and made sure it is all evened out before I attached the cooler but maybe i did make a mistake along the way. So once i get my AS5 I'll remove the current paste on my cpu cooler, re-apply a new coat and run prime 95 and tell you guys the temps :).

Hopefully the thermal paste will come either today or tomorrow.

disaster101

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
just kinda skimmed through and was wondering did you clean the chip and heat-sink with a special solution at all? i have a amd 1090t 6 core clocked too from 3.2 too 4. but have it at 4.0 just to be safe and what i have or should say my mate has is thermal paste plus a special cleaning solution that you can use on the heat-sink before you put it on and can help quite a bit i heard but worth a try if you haven't :)

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Good point, disaster -- I would recommend that anyone reapplying thermal paste -- or applying it for the first time, use a Q-tip to apply some high-grade alcohol (70% or greater concentration) to ensure a smooth, oil-free surface. In the course of handling a processor and heat sink, the installer will likely leave some skin-oil behind.

A quick cleaning with alcohol would do the job. Make sure to give the alcohol a few minutes to completely evaporate before applying the paste.

disaster101

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
seems to work with mine ive only got a cheap mobo but with my amd overclocked to 4.0MHz idle 27 to 28 and in game 40s before that i got 50s so could help a fair bit

TRENDING THREADS