HP dm1z 128GB Solid State Drive

Solution

Buying SSD separately is much better on several levels. First of all, the HP option is $290 MORE then the standard 320GB 7200RPM HDD, so really you are paying $400 for an unknown 128GB SSD. You can get a SandForce 128GB SSD for half that right now. AND you'll still have a pretty good 320 GB HDD that the notebook came with. Secondly, you can save the original HDD for restoration purposes and load a fresh install on the SSD...
+1 what tecmo34 said.

HP and Dell are notorious for not fully identifying components in their product literature and advertising. However, if you can find a company name & model numer or HP part number somewhere on the ssd, then it might be possible to identify the ssd.

mswendysmith

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I appreciate both of your responses; I'm asking this because I'm trying to decide whether or not to configure my new HP dm1z with their 128GB solid state drive and I would feel more comfortable knowing the details of what I'm actually purchasing for $290. Is there anyway of finding this out prior to purchasing?

mswendysmith

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I tried contacting HP directly and was told " we cannot disclose any information regarding its manufacturers detail." This sure does make it hard to make an informed decision.

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

I was gonna say I thought it was Samsung. Also, keep in mind HP is going to pump a ton of bloat-ware into your ssd if you get it from them. Probably not something you want, so if the costs were equal I would buy my own SSD.

impeacher

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010

Buying SSD separately is much better on several levels. First of all, the HP option is $290 MORE then the standard 320GB 7200RPM HDD, so really you are paying $400 for an unknown 128GB SSD. You can get a SandForce 128GB SSD for half that right now. AND you'll still have a pretty good 320 GB HDD that the notebook came with. Secondly, you can save the original HDD for restoration purposes and load a fresh install on the SSD to get rid of the bloatware. I also have it on good authority that native Win7 drivers for things like the trackpad and WiFi are better on the battery then the HP ones.

Solution