Suggestion: Sound Card with Digital In + Digital Decoder

musti33

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
Hi guys.. im looking for a sound card I can connect my Logitech X-530's to but one that also has a DIGITAL (toslink) INPUT so i can connect my PS3 to my computer and output sound from my Logitech X-530's.. now to do this any sound card wont work from what i found out with a little bit of research.. and i need a sound card with a Digital Decoder... do you guys have any suggestions for a cheap sound card with a digital decoder and toslink input? its my only choice believe me...

My budget will not go above £40 thats why im looking for a cheap one.. any brand will do as long as it has what i need..

Any suggestions guys?

Optical can only pass 5.1 signals by using Dolby Digital or DTS, as uncompressed (decoded) 5.1 signals are larger then the wire can physically carry. Hence, why a decoder is needed: To uncompress the audio.

Very few sound cards have decoders. I THINK Creatives sound cards have decoders (I know the Audidgy 2 series did...), but this varies by model. I know ASUS cards don't. Really, best option looks to be a cheap digital reciever instead of a dedicated sound card, unless you don't mind slaving you're PS3 audio to you're PC...

musti33

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
hmmmmmm i know the digital receiver sounds good but i dont want that...
even though there might not be many, i want a sound card with the decoder..

Have to go X-fi then. Check each model, and make sure it has a DECODER, and not just an ENCODER.

I know the Audigy 2 line had decoders, but they are much harder to find on newer cards. Hence, why I got a headset with a built in decoder module :D

musti33

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
I really need to find a cheap sound card with a dolby digital decoder.. or a cheap dolby digital decoder.. aslong as it has a dolby digital input to connect my ps3 onto..

677399-a.jpg

£35 quid @ Scan
http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=677399