Sign in with
Your question

Question About Setting Up RAID

Last response: in Storage
February 25, 2011 7:50:18 PM

Hey all,

I currently have a 64GB WD SiliconEdge Blue SSD (OS drive) and a 500GB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD that is currently storing all of my other data (a lot of documents, programs, Steam games). I have 34.7 GB left on the HDD and would like to increase that; however, I don't want to get a put in a new hard drive, copy all of the data, and then have to create new shortcuts and all that stuff (since the OS drive has to reference all that stuff). I was hoping I could solve this with a RAID 0 array, but after reading about how it stores data that sounds unlikely - any comments here would be appreciated.

Aside from that, I will probably use 2x500GB drives in RAID 0, but then can I use RAID 1 with a 1TB drive to mirror those (I have one lying around)? And if so, how do I set this up properly?

Thanks guys.

More about : question setting raid

a c 122 G Storage
February 25, 2011 8:34:10 PM

You can easily replace the 500 gig drive with a larger one, just change the drive letter of the new drive to match the old one once the data is over. Shortcuts will go to the same place.

Raid 0 plus Raid 1 = Raid 4 or 5. So just setup raid 5, but you'd want 3 disks that are the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
m
l
February 25, 2011 9:04:52 PM

I looked up the prices, and another 1TB is only $5 more than a 500GB, so I guess I'll set up 2x1TB drives in RAID 1 for simplicity.
m
l
Related resources
a c 122 G Storage
February 26, 2011 3:16:54 AM

Let's say your HD is D:\

1. Change drive letter on 500 GB from D:\ to E:\

2. Install new 1TB RAID array, call it D:\

3. Copy all data from E:\ to D:\
m
l
a c 122 G Storage
February 28, 2011 12:51:32 PM

Note that RAID 1 will slow down the system some as each write has to go to 2 disks. May or may not be noticable, have not looked at any disk benchmarks in a while.

But it is safe for data. Raid 5 (one more disk needed) will basically get you the benefit of RAID 0 and RAID 1.
m
l
February 28, 2011 1:20:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I can only afford one more disk, so RAID 1 sounds like the best option.

Does brand matching have an effect on the speed? I'm assuming that the slowest drive limits the speed of the array. The 1TB I have is a Hitachi Deskstar, and I plan on just getting 1 more if a Samsung F3 won't make a difference.
m
l
!