6GB Corsair Reverts To 4GB

Frigenchigen

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Ok I am having a really annoying problem. I built a new pc with the following Specs.
Antec 1200
Core i7 920 Overclocked at 3.60GHZ W/Coolermaster V8
ATI Sapphire 5970-Flashed to BIOS File A02 To Get Fan Control
6GB Corsair Dominator 1600MGHZ Underclocked to around 1400+MGHZ
Asus P6t Deluxe V2 With Latest BIOS flashed 1 Day Ago
640GB Western Digital Caviar Black
Zalman 1000Watt PSU

Problem- When I built it everything worked. Then the next day the bios and os said I only have 4GB Memory installed. I took one stick out and put it back in and it went back to 6GB. Then day later 4GB again. I updated BIOS and it worked for a day or two. Now I restarted and it's 4GB again. What seems to fix it is just resetting the BIOS. But then I have to overclock and do all the settings over again. I think it could be Windows related because when I do some changes on here it seems to happen.

Thank You!

There are a couple issues with those boards. First off you might need to make sure you have the right memory voltage, probably 1.65. Make sure you set that in the bios. Secondly I would remove all the ram chips and reinstall them. The boards can be picky about how the memory chips are installed. I have had 2 of those boards and each one did that to me. I also had a problem if the memory wasn't set to 1.65 volts, which my memory required, it wouldn't show all 3 sticks (6G).

Frigenchigen

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Im running windows 7 64 bit. I will re-install the memory. The timings of 7-7-7-20 and 1600mghz is what they say but i have underclocked to 1400mghz. I will re-install memoery into different slots or something and also set voltage to 1.65. Thank

sotorious

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I am 2 having a problem with those same sticks, but i had an older pair of ocz ram that i ramd because it was showing up bad in memtest, thats what made me go ahead an show the dominators, when i had the dominators it would show 4 out of 6 then i changed it to xmp mode... and it showed 6 out of 6 untill i would shut down and power back up then it would go to 4 out of 6, so i took out 1 stick at a time, and booted up with 1 stick at a time, turns out that 1 stick would give me a blue screen ordered some more dominators that should be coming in this week, hopefully everything goes well with the new ones.

But yes this is a terrible problem..

If you havent checked already remove your cpu and check for bent pins then re seat the cpu make sure your cooler is not on to tight and making good contact. if not then check dim slots make sure none of them are dead, if not then it might be your memory controller on your cpu that has gone bad.

I almost want to sell my i7 system and get something else this has been ridiculous for me.

lazerblaster

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I'll keep you posted I'm still working on the same problem with the same ram, mobo, and same bios version. if i figure anything out i will let you know. :) do the same for me if you find anything out. so far all my sticks tested good and my DIMM slots are good. that as far as i am right now but yeah I'll update this sometime when i get a chance call Asus and see if they know anything.

Edit* I put in a ticket at 11:00 AM Central standerd time with corsair and will see what they have to say in 24 hours.

Edit 2* ticket in with Asus 12:00 they said within 48 hours, I will post the emails as soon as I receive something back from them. :)

I just dug up a post on the Asus forums that people are loosening their cpu cooler backplate and that's solving it for them, I'm gonna try when i get home.

lazerblaster

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Ok, so Asus says it was the ram and not their mobo and to go run memtest and set my timings manually, they must not read what people tell them ...fail. Atleast their automated response was quick even though it was worthless based on the information that they made me give them ...i hope the cpu backplate is too tight

sorry about the spelling that fails just as bad :p

Frigenchigen

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
My CPU pins were not bent when i installed. Yesterday I took out a few sticks and put them back in and then set the voltage for DRAM to 1.65V. Also I am having locking up and everything. I can play games but if i can't do basic things then what did I build my core i7 for. Before I posted this I had to reset the BIOS and set voltages and CPU overclock and everything. If I turn it off it will stay at 6GB on resume but after turning off for 1 day it goes to 4GB. I have not done mem test because I didn't want to bother with making a USB botable thing. I think the new memory mite be problem or something because the timings are 7-7-7-20 but that shouldn't affect it.

lazerblaster

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
ok so with my problem, sounds same as yours ...I loosened my cpu cooler backplate screws and i think that might have done it ..give it a shot i did mine like 1/2 a turn and so far everything seems to be working. hope it works for you :) temps are the same too 38-39 @ idle stock clock ..OCing once I can get rid of the memory problem :) .. if you are overclocked i'd suggest you revert it to stock so you can eliminate the stability issues until you get the memory working correctly. also you can use the windows memory test program, if you are using windows 7 click the "start" butten and down at the bottem in the search bar type mem and it should bring up windows memory diagnostic, use that and set it to do the extended scan and run it when you go to bed and see if all is working in the morning. make sure you make it do more scans then the default 2. f10 is the options i think i dunno it says at the bottem of the screen.

Frigenchigen

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I will run some memory test and probably clock back to Specs but i'm wondering why I would have some lockups and stuff. Because others go to 4GHZ and there fine. My temps are around 42C idle when is OS and 50-60 depending on the load. Also when I start the computer sometimes my Samsung 2433 just blinks and I have to reset motherboard even tho I know it's booting up into OS since my keyboard lights up when in OS.

lazerblaster

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
you are using an ati card? i guess i dont really have much experiance with them my only sugestion is if you haven't already maybe try a differant rail on ur psu or maybe pop it outta the pci slot and back in ...maybe its just a weird connection issue, hard for me to say since im not the smartest w/ these new systems. also, i'm sure you already know but make sure you turn turbo off when overclocking. I'll get back to ya when corsair hits me back with and answer to the ram question if loosening the cpu backplate didn't work for you. hopefully they don't just send the normal automated response.

Frigenchigen

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I will loosen my CPU backplate tonight and a bit a see if that helps. It's like a lawnmower. When a lawnmower is cold it takes for pulls to start it. Then when you turn it off and u used it one pull can get it going again. Just like the ram after about a day it loses its heat and like one stick doesn't turn on. But to loosen the CPU Cooler I have to take the PC downstairs and remove the motherboard and all these cables and this big card makes it harder to do things.

*UPDATE: I have changed my settings to XMP with everything else the same. I have can not loosen cooler today. Report to me if loosening the cooler made ur 6GB detectable after a day. 7-7-7-20, 1.65V CPU 1.3V temps are now higher for some reason but I noticed that my SpeedStep was enabled so technically it was not overclocked. I also ran Memtest86+ Latest version via CD bootable ISO. I have not had freezing after changing some of these settings but it's probably cause now it is actually overclocked in OS also.

lazerblaster

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
so far everything is working for me, I reinstalled windows though ...no bluescreens so far and ram is always detecting @ 6gigs
i had my cpu fan cranked down pretty far though so i think that helped. grats soto hope your problems are finished.

sotorious

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
well yea i was getting all 6 gigs till i did a complete shutdown and then when i would power it up 10 seconds later it would only read 4 until i messed with the settings again.

Frigenchigen

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Mine only stops working if its been off for a while. Then I have to shutdown and all 6gigs work. Right now im on XMP and changed voltage to 1.65 and base clock to 180 so core i7 is at 920 with core voltage of 1.300. I will see wat happens tomorrow but if tomorrow it fails to get all 6 first try i will loosen cooler/re-install cooler

lazerblaster

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
ok Corsair got back to me, they said to crank qpi voltage up to 1.5v if that doessn't fix it then RMA the ram. i was doing alright till today ....bluescreened about 1/2 hour after being turned on and only showed 4 gigs on restart. so is turning the qpi voltage up that much gonna be bad, or does it only affect the ram?

lazerblaster

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
thanks yellowbeard, I understand some get unlucky with all brands but A+ on the customer service. I'll always use your products for that reason :) I'm lovin my corsair PSU! too bad you guys don't make mobos. Also, if I end up having to RMA my ram is there a way I can get the new stuff sent to me before I send my old RAM off so I'm not without my computer for a week?

Frigenchigen

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I just re-installed CPU and CPU coolermaster V8. I installed it in a different postion. Now it blows hot air towards top big antec 1200 fan. I got lower temps for some reason. I also re-installed ram sticks. I got all 6GB on start up but that was expected. tomorrow I will report back whether it detected 4GB or 6GB. I think the CPU cooler was really tight. This time I made it so I could turn it a little bit more so it's lose this time but all of it is in contact with the CPU. I will run memtest 86+ again. Before this I did one pass without any errors.

lazerblaster

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
goodluck, make sure you run it for a good while since 3 or 4 passes might not even catch it ...RMAing mine on monday, has to go to CA from MN so 5 days then back so i'll be out for a good bit here. hopefully it's still out of stock so I can just get a refund. that way i can just run to microcenter and get some, so i dont have to wait 3 weeks to be able to use my computer.
If i get a refund newegg better not hit me with a 15% restocking fee ontop of paying a total of like 20 bucks for shipping bothways, and taking it up the tailpipe when i bought that ram ...I've spent thousands at that site, If that happens I'll never buy from them again. sorry I just feel like being a bitch :cry:
hope you get yours working right without the hassle of RMAing.