Sign in with
Your question

Corsair vx450w best graphic card

Last response: in Components
September 17, 2009 12:15:02 AM

hi am building my first pc and will be running it as a media center. i need advice on what the best graphic card i can run with a corsair vx450, my system so far consists of

amd phenom ii x3 720 2.8GHz black edition

asus m4a79xtd evo 790x

samsung hd 103sj spinpoint

lg gh22ns40 22x sata dvd/rw

2x tv tuners

g.skill ripjaw 4gb (2x2gb) ddr3

what i would like to know is could i get away with running a ati hd 4890 graphics card with this set up or would i need to go for a smaller graphic card,

More about : corsair vx450w graphic card

September 17, 2009 12:26:41 AM

I think 450 is cutting it a bit close for a 4890. A 4870 should be okay though.

Is there any reason you need such massive graphics power for just a media center pc? Are you going to game on it?
September 17, 2009 12:36:10 AM

+1 unless its a gaming media centre. save your money for a better screen or something
Related resources
September 17, 2009 2:49:49 AM

i have already got a screen from my last media centre which died on me last week a 26 inche lcd tv and yes i do love my games and was in the process of upgrading that cause i was having problems with my psu thats why i got the corsair 450 last month but know have to start from scratch but want to use the corsair as its only a month old and thanks for the replys guys
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2009 3:47:39 AM

For a home theater pc you might want to consider the ATI Radeon HD 4770 video card. It is a very good mid-level, general purpose card. It is ideally suited for a home theater pc, is energy efficient, requires only one 6 pin PCI-e power cable, and is only 8.5 inches long. Technical reviews have been very favorable. It doesn't get much better than that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The Corsair VX450 is an excellent power supply and will not have any problems powering your system with a 4770.
September 17, 2009 5:26:57 PM

thanks for the replys, silly question here but dose it make any differance who acctualy makes the graphic card?
September 17, 2009 5:37:02 PM

They are all modeled after the reference design by ati for the stock version unless they specifically say that there are some enhancements, such as a factory overclock.

The cooling systems can vary between the difference cards as well.

Personally I would go with XFX since they have a great double lifetime warranty and have always had great support.

If you find it cheaper from another brand, that would be fine too, I don't think 4770 prices between vendors differ by an extreme amount.
!