Your question
Closed

What else can I try?

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
May 29, 2011 6:24:06 PM

I now have a stable overclock at 3800 Mhz on my x6 1090t. I haven't been able to get it any further on all cores, although with turbo core I can boost to 4000 in some games. I'm not sure what to try next, since I don't know which voltage reading to trust. Any advice is appreciated. I've read many threads (including 4ryan6's guide) but now think I need specific advice if I am to get any further.

Core voltage is set to auto. CPU-Z reports it as 1.488 and AMD Overdrive reports it at 1.375 which I think is the default. I've disabled C1E and Cool & Quiet. I've tried without Turbo Boost as well but that made no real difference.

Cooler is CM 212+, base temps are around 30 and max is around 54 under stress.

Thanks

More about : question

Best solution

May 30, 2011 5:21:51 AM

trust cpu-z thats a great little app almost every overclocker uses that program.....for one base temps dont matter like you said you turned of cool and quiet anyways your load temp is good you can saftly push your voltage up to increase your overclocking...thing to do is
1. start at optimized defaults
2. put your multiplier up by .5
3.boot your computer till it starts to freeze or not boot
4. up your voltage...whatch your temps( you should always do a stress test after you change voltage
5.repeat
you want to keep your temps under stress at just over 70 that means in games you will be runnin about 60 or a bit higher...those are safe high temps that wont cause any long term damage
to go any highr than that you need an aftermarket cooler
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2011 1:37:43 PM

I would be cautious pushing an x6 on that mb...
Score
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
June 7, 2011 12:02:56 PM

green300 said:
I would be cautious pushing an x6 on that mb...

Ding! Ding! Ding!

GB makes tuff stuff but 6 cores above 3.8GHz might be pushing it a bit on their entry-level motherboards, BUT, if you are so inclined ...

You could try a combination of both the multiplier and the system clock. Save your current BIOS profile (if possible) and then:

- Disable Turbo
- Drop the HT to x8/1600
- Leave the IMC/NB at 10x
- Raise NB volts +0.125v (to 1.2v or possibly 1.1875v)
- Lock PCIe to 100MHz
- Set CPU multiplier at 15x
- Set system clock to 240MHz
- Drop memory from 800 to 667
- Set VCore where you are 'comfortable'
- Save settings as a separate BIOS profile

When you have VCore set to *Auto* it tends to over-volt (raising temps and holding your OC back). Max spec volts are 1.4v with max temps at 62c. Test at 15x240MHz and see where you stand. The rest is up to you - LOL.

I believe GB allows the raising of VCore in +0.125v increments above 'stock'. I would add +0.375v to +0.5v to start, and see if what is reported in the BIOS and Windows is comfortable for you.

From this point it is simply a matter of working your CPU multi and VCore. Test for temps and stability along the way. If you have an extra fan laying around I would advise placing it as close to your FETs as possible -- same with the NB heatsink if you have a second fan :D 
Score
June 14, 2011 2:40:49 AM

Best answer selected by bob_242.
Score
June 14, 2011 7:17:09 AM

thx bob_242 glad I could help
Score
a b À AMD
a c 296 K Overclocking
June 14, 2011 2:25:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
Score