Is my Cooler Master RS-520 sufficient for my new rig!!!

shwetankjuneja

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hi,
I am going to build a new rig, just want to know do i need a new power supply as i can't afford one now...!!! Following my specs:-
Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge
Asus P8Z68-M PRO Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 2X4GB Single Module DDR3 Kit CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9
Corsair CWC H50 Liquid Cooler for CPUs
WD AV-GP 1TB SATA 3 Gb/s Desktop Hard drive
MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr OC
LG DVD/RW

For a system running a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card a power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors is recommended.

Your Cooler Master RS-520, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 34 Amps and two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, meets the requirements.

The Cooler Master RS-520 is made by AcBel Polytech for Cooler Master.

I haven't seen any power supplies made by AcBel Polytech in the 80PLUS certified category receive a good/pass review. Most/all fail to deliver their labelled power while staying within ATX12V specifications for DC output quality.

On paper (i.e. theoretically) it should be able to power your system with a single MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr OC and allow some overclocking of the CPU.

Would I trust that power supply unit to be able to do it? In a word, no.

All I can say is that you can always try it out to see if it works for you. Maybe you can hold off on the overclocking until you can afford to buy a reputable power supply unit.

shwetankjuneja

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
The Specs on cooler master website say as follows:-
Output Capacity: 520 Watts Continuous
Max. Output Capacity: 600 Watts

I am confused, does that mean it will reach 600W if required just like turbo boost...lol :)

The 600 Watts is peak power. It can only be sustained for a few seconds at most.

I've never trusted Cooler Master power supplies since they've been known to use deceptive marketing practices. With some models they label them with their peak power and try to pass it off to the unsuspecting customer as continuous power.

shwetankjuneja

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
This is the way i want to overclock, don't know much about overcloking so not sure about Vcore:-
Stock CPU speed (MHz) : 3300
Stock Vcore (V): 1.3
Overclocked CPU speed (MHz) : 4200
Overclocked Vcore (V): 1.5

The cooler master PSU calculator recomended me 447W...please correct if there's a disconnect...:)

Since the CPU and GPU are completely powered from the +12V rail(s) it is the PSU's combined +12 Volt continuous current rating specification that matters most when deciding whether the PSU is able to properly power the system. The PSU's total wattage is useless, in my view, for determining if a particular PSU is going to work in a particular system.

Overclocking a Core i5-2500K from the stock 3.3 GHz to 4.2 GHz is going to draw at least 2 Amps more from the +12V rail(s).

Again it all comes down to whether or not the Cooler Master RS-520 is able to deliver its labelled power. There must be some reason why Cooler Master has discontinued that whole Real Power M series.