EAZY-E

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
I have a huge problem with my 4870. It works fine in the bios, on the windows loading screen, in safemode, and on a normal desktop(without the drivers installed).

Once I install the drivers, the card makes it through post, the boot loader and the windows loading screen fine. Unfortunately, were the logion screen should be, I get a blank black screen. The monitor still has input though. Typing in my password and pressing enter does nothing.

Is the card dead?
Is there anyway that I can tell for shure that the card is dead?
If the card isn't dead, what's wrong?

EAZY-E

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Sorry i have no idea why it quadruple posted! please only reply to the one that i Haven't replyed to.
Thanks.

(don't reply to this one!!)

Well, first off, if you can play in the BIOS of the motherboard without any problems, I tend to believe your card should be ok.

On the other hand, I don't know the condition of your windows install. At this point, before buying anything, try to reinstall windows completly.

If you can, also check another card. If you got an integrated VGA or DVI port on your motherboard, try them for troubleshooting.

Also, you should check your PCIe BIOS setup. If you got wrong value inserted, it could make your system unstable... but since you are telling me that windows doesn't start when loading, it could easily be software related.

Also, I am pretty sure your card is ok since you can work in safe mode.