Sign in with
Your question

Mix-matching RAM?

Last response: in Memory
December 7, 2009 12:57:16 PM

I have 2 different sets of 1gb RAM & 4 slots in my MB. I was wondering if it would hurt anything or if it would work at all to run them together. Also, if it does work, would it hinder performance more than it helped? Here are the two sets I have:

GeIL GX22GB5300LDC 2GB Kit DDR2-667 PC2-5300 DDR 2 Series Dual Channel Memory

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804

More about : mix matching ram

a b } Memory
December 7, 2009 10:59:27 PM

Should work, recommend fix ram speed in bios manually for 667mhz, the boards usually default to slowest ram but superior to set manually for stability.
m
l
Anonymous
December 7, 2009 11:25:44 PM

It isn't recommended to be running two different pairs of RAM, but there will most likely be few if any problems.

Since you have two different pairs of sticks, you need to manually change the speed for the system to the lowest number (in this case 667) if your motherboard doesn't do it automatically.

As an added note, make sure that you are putting the RAM in the correct slots as noted by your motherboard's manual. Some motherboards require pairs of sticks to be placed in an alternating configuration, while others ask that you push them into place adjacent to each other.

Finally, the last thing that you need to be worried about are clock timings for the RAM. Also known as CAS latencies, these numbers basically tell you how fast your RAM is operating at (lower numbers are better). You want to make sure to set CAS timings manually to make sure that they are consistent with each other. These settings are set manually in the BIOS.

If you have any questions, feel free to post a follow up or use a search engine to browse the web for answers. Good Luck!
m
l
December 8, 2009 5:25:04 PM

Anonymous said:
It isn't recommended to be running two different pairs of RAM, but there will most likely be few if any problems.

Since you have two different pairs of sticks, you need to manually change the speed for the system to the lowest number (in this case 667) if your motherboard doesn't do it automatically.

As an added note, make sure that you are putting the RAM in the correct slots as noted by your motherboard's manual. Some motherboards require pairs of sticks to be placed in an alternating configuration, while others ask that you push them into place adjacent to each other.

Finally, the last thing that you need to be worried about are clock timings for the RAM. Also known as CAS latencies, these numbers basically tell you how fast your RAM is operating at (lower numbers are better). You want to make sure to set CAS timings manually to make sure that they are consistent with each other. These settings are set manually in the BIOS.

If you have any questions, feel free to post a follow up or use a search engine to browse the web for answers. Good Luck!

Great post & thanks. Luckily Gigabyte color codes the RAM slots to make it easy.
m
l
!