Installing a GTX 275 with a PCI Express 6 Pin Y Cable Split

Charly Brown

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Hi,

I'm upgrading from a Nvidia 8800 GTS to a GTX 275. The 8800GTS needed just one 6 Pin PCI Express Aux cable, while I just realized the GTX 275 needs two. The problem is that I have just one 6 Pin PCI Express cable coming from inside the Power Supply, and no other cable is free (Molex or whatsoever). So I'm thinking on using a PCI Express 6 Pin Y Cable Split like this one to connect the single 6 Pin to it and then the other two ends to the graphic card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201008

I have a 750 W power supply, so it should handle the card easily. What I'm, not sure if it power coming from one cable can go to both female connectors on the card. There is a guy in the Newegg forum that used this solution to connect a Sapphire 4870 to one PCI 6 Pin Aux cable and it seems to work fine

The other solution is that my PSU seems to have several 6 Pin Female connectors on its side, but I'm not sure if those are Aux PCI express connectros as I don't have the specs for the PSU (It's a Maingear Power Supply, no specs available). In any case, it seems a male-to-male 6 PCI Express Cable doesn't exist!

Thanks for your input

hecjr82

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
whether you read this or not thank you cause you answered a ? of mind, God bless.