Dell Inspiron 600m DVD+RW slow burning

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 7:32:58 AM

I recently got a Dell Inspiron 600m 1.6 GHz (Centrino) with 512 Meg RAM.
I've been burning DVD+R discs rated for 4X since the DVD+RW drive is also 4X
but it takes almost an hour to burn a disc. Someone else I know with a
laptop DVD-RW is able to burn a disc in about 15 to 20 minutes. I've
noticed that while burning, the drive light is not blinking, but going on
and off intermittently, being off about the same length of time it's on.

I've tried using the Sonic DVD software that came with the computer as well
as the latest Nero Burning Rom with the same results. Nero shows the read
buffer as always full but the drive buffer is emptying and refilling. When
it empties, the drive stops burning. I've tried increasing the RAM buffer
in Nero to the maximum 80 Megs but this didn't help. I really thought the
computer would be able to keep the drive buffer full. Was I expecting too
much from a 1.6GHz Centrino? Is this normal? It has no problem burning 16X
CD-Rs.

My call to Dell's support line took forever to be answered and when I
finally got through to someone, he put me on hold for 10 minutes and then
told me he'd call me back within the hour. He never did call back, so I
thought I'd try here before I deal with them again.

Thanks.

Brian

--
-----
Anonymous

Klenow wrote:
> I recently got a Dell Inspiron 600m 1.6 GHz (Centrino) with 512 Meg
> RAM. I've been burning DVD+R discs rated for 4X since the DVD+RW
> drive is also 4X but it takes almost an hour to burn a disc. Someone
> else I know with a laptop DVD-RW is able to burn a disc in about 15
> to 20 minutes. I've noticed that while burning, the drive light is
> not blinking, but going on and off intermittently, being off about
> the same length of time it's on.
>
> I've tried using the Sonic DVD software that came with the computer
> as well as the latest Nero Burning Rom with the same results. Nero
> shows the read buffer as always full but the drive buffer is emptying
> and refilling. When it empties, the drive stops burning. I've tried
> increasing the RAM buffer in Nero to the maximum 80 Megs but this
> didn't help. I really thought the computer would be able to keep the
> drive buffer full. Was I expecting too much from a 1.6GHz Centrino?
> Is this normal? It has no problem burning 16X CD-Rs.
>
> My call to Dell's support line took forever to be answered and when I
> finally got through to someone, he put me on hold for 10 minutes and
> then told me he'd call me back within the hour. He never did call
> back, so I thought I'd try here before I deal with them again.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Brian

This is not good. A full DVD-RW 4.7GB should take about 15 minutes at
4x if everything is perfect upstream; yours looks like 1x instead of 4x.
Check that DMA is properly enabled on the drive, Device Manager, IDE
Channels, Properties, Advanced Settings tab, Transfer modes should be
DMA if Available, with a current transfer mode Ultra DMA Mode X showing.
..

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread/t-92688.html

This reference is identical to your problem. Essentially, if there are
repeated errors on an IDE channel, XP SP1 reduces transfer mode to PIO,
and this reduction can persist after a reboot. The suggested solution
is to delete the "offending" IDE channel and reboot so that the channel
is redetected properly and DMA mode restored. Now the question is why
the error? Again, it might be the DVD medium is not "right" for the
drive or the medium is faulty.

a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 1:03:27 PM

FWIW, it's been my experience that laptop drives are slower than they
claim. No matter what I do, I can never achieve the rated speed. Not
even close. I guess it's just one of those things you have to live
with.

However, if you find a solution please post it!!

"Klenow" <bakedbeans@spam.not> wrote in message news:<j_Lfc.39889$em2.38114@fe01.usenetserver.com>...
> I recently got a Dell Inspiron 600m 1.6 GHz (Centrino) with 512 Meg RAM.
> I've been burning DVD+R discs rated for 4X since the DVD+RW drive is also 4X
> but it takes almost an hour to burn a disc. Someone else I know with a
> laptop DVD-RW is able to burn a disc in about 15 to 20 minutes. I've
> noticed that while burning, the drive light is not blinking, but going on
> and off intermittently, being off about the same length of time it's on.
>
> I've tried using the Sonic DVD software that came with the computer as well
> as the latest Nero Burning Rom with the same results. Nero shows the read
> buffer as always full but the drive buffer is emptying and refilling. When
> it empties, the drive stops burning. I've tried increasing the RAM buffer
> in Nero to the maximum 80 Megs but this didn't help. I really thought the
> computer would be able to keep the drive buffer full. Was I expecting too
> much from a 1.6GHz Centrino? Is this normal? It has no problem burning 16X
> CD-Rs.
>
> My call to Dell's support line took forever to be answered and when I
> finally got through to someone, he put me on hold for 10 minutes and then
> told me he'd call me back within the hour. He never did call back, so I
> thought I'd try here before I deal with them again.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Brian
Related resources
April 16, 2004 6:02:32 PM

snipe

the drive light is not blinking, but going on and off intermittently, being
off about the same length of time it's on.........

if that's not blinking daft then I must be........

dj

"Klenow" <bakedbeans@spam.not> wrote in message

> I recently got a Dell Inspiron 600m 1.6 GHz (Centrino) with 512 Meg RAM.
> I've been burning DVD+R discs rated for 4X since the DVD+RW drive is also
4X
> but it takes almost an hour to burn a disc. Someone else I know with a
> laptop DVD-RW is able to burn a disc in about 15 to 20 minutes. I've
> noticed that while burning, the drive light is not blinking, but going on
> and off intermittently, being off about the same length of time it's on.
>
> I've tried using the Sonic DVD software that came with the computer as
well
> as the latest Nero Burning Rom with the same results. Nero shows the read
> buffer as always full but the drive buffer is emptying and refilling.
When
> it empties, the drive stops burning. I've tried increasing the RAM buffer
> in Nero to the maximum 80 Megs but this didn't help. I really thought the
> computer would be able to keep the drive buffer full. Was I expecting too
> much from a 1.6GHz Centrino? Is this normal? It has no problem burning
16X
> CD-Rs.
>
> My call to Dell's support line took forever to be answered and when I
> finally got through to someone, he put me on hold for 10 minutes and then
> told me he'd call me back within the hour. He never did call back, so I
> thought I'd try here before I deal with them again.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Brian
>

> --
> -----

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 8:26:42 PM

> noticed that while burning, the drive light is not blinking, but going on
> and off intermittently, being off about the same length of time it's on.

In burn mode on most writable optical drives, the LED does not
indicate data transfer; it blinks at a steady rate to indicate that
the drive is in burn mode.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 6:12:53 PM

The reference you provided seems to refer to exactly the same problem I had.
DMA was not enabled and could not be enabled. I did as suggested and
uninstalled the IDE channel and it reinstalled on reboot. DMA is now
enabled and the drive seems to be burning at an appropriate speed. I don't
know why it was stuck on PIO but it hasn't gone back again.

Thanks for your help. It was the first response I read to my post. If only
Dell support could be so helpful!